a few years ago I started to investigate Ernest Hemingway's connection to my hometown - Cooke City, Montana. With the help of locals, old timers and friends, I was able to connect our area to much of of Hemingway' work and biography. As my research yielded more and more results, I set a few goals -
- find a publisher in order to publish my research in book form.
- secure a grant from the Hemingway foundation to travel to the east coast to get pictures for the book.
- present a paper at the 2018 International Hemingway Conference in Paris connecting Hemingway's last piece of fiction to Cooke City.
- submit a proposal to bring the 2020 Conference to Cooke City and Silver Gate.
Fortunately I have been able to achieve these goals;
- the book "Hemingway in the Yellowstone High Country" should be out this summer.
- I have received a $500 Lewis/Reynolds/Smith Fellowship to secure pictures from the Hemingway Collection at the JFK Library in Boston and Patrick Hemingway Papers at Princeton.
- I have been invited to present a paper this summer at the Conference in Paris.
- I have teamed up with the University in Sheridan, WY to present a convincing proposal to host the 2020 International Hemingway Conference.
Most people who engage in this sort of endeavor receive funding from a University and are generally rewarded with a bump in pay or title. I am not connected to any college and do not have a degree so I have funded my research on bartender/waiter wages while raising 2 children. Getting to and from Paris will be expensive. The Conference is in July which is prime money making time in Yellowstone country so I will miss out on wages and have to fund the trip - double whammy! I will also be travelling to Sheridan, WY in early May to present our proposal to the Hemingway Foundation; last summer I hosted Larry Grimes and Sandra Spanier in Cooke City for a site inspection, I have also set up a Hemingway Exhibit at the Range Rider Lodge in Silver Gate, MT. All this has been done at my own expense and now with costs building I am asking for a little help from friends and interested parties.
If you are a friend of mine with a little extra scratch, or if you support independent scholarship, or if you are Hemingway enthusiast or lover of the Cooke City/Silver Gate area please contribute to this cause. Your donation will help me get to Paris and hopefully convince the Hemingway Society to bring their next Conference to our beautiful part of the world.
DonationsSee top donations
- Schamerhorn Diana
- Amelia LeBlanc
- Sean Fithian
- Jim Davis
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more