Char’s Healing Journey

Aloha Friends,
Please read Char's latest post. She is in need of our help and support now more than ever. Because of the medical bills as well as general living expenses she is still needing to work even as she faces this immense challenge. Wouldn't it be lovely to give her some ease at this time? Perhaps even to allow her to do something wonderful in the time she has left? If you aren’t able to donate at this time, please share on social media. Please read below and let me know if you have any questions.

Hi everyone,
For five years I have been dealing with this crazy illness! I've had more blood tests, pet scans, Hep C drugs, CT scans, six chemo-embolizations including night stays in the hospital , doctor appointments, trips to Kaiser and to UCSF and lots of anticipation 
waiting for test results than I care to remember. I've been through pain, confusion, nausea, and a gamut of feeling having to deal with all this.
The last time I wrote I had just had my last chemo embolization at UCSF. A month later I got the results ... my AFP (cancer marker) instead of going down went up 4200. The doctors are baffled why they can't find the cancer and keep trying everything they can. My numbers are now up to 5200. For a last shot at finding it, this week I had an MRI under anesthesia. I've had a half month of Chemo drugs staring at me for a couple weeks waiting to hear the results of the test.  
I also had an x-ray this week of my left hip which has caused me a lot of pain for months. Turns out I have severe arthritis along with scoliosis. Now it's off to physical therapy! I think that is the result of being a hairdresser for fifty years! All I can say about that is if this is what happens from having the best career for my entire working life I would do it all over again. 
Well, anyway my oncologist Dr. Li called me last night. In a kind and caring way she told me I needed to start the chemo drug because there was nothing more they can do. The MRI just showed signs of all the treatments I've had. She said the drug could take the numbers down. In a nut shell she said even if my numbers go down I still won't be able to have a transplant due to my liver itself being so diseased. She said if I take the drug I will probably be around for 1 1/2- 2 years before my liver gives out. If I don't take the drug 9 months to a year. That news hit me hard... then I came to my senses and I think it could be longer because I believe in miracles... and what do they know anyway?!
All this news makes me very sad. After a few days, once I get through the heartbreak, I'll be ready to take the high road and get on with my bucket list. Although I would like to retire because the arthritis hurts a lot and my energy is low I still need to support myself, so I'll fit in what I can when I can. Other than the side effects I may have from the chemo drug I am feeling pretty darn good. I get tired faster these days which in part might be just getting older! 
Thank you all for listening. Knowing you are all out there caring enough to read my stories means a lot to me.  All is well... and I hope all of you can join me by staying in the present and enjoy your beautiful lives to the fullest.
Sending my love and blessings,
  • Karen Rosen 
    • $50 
    • 29 mos
  • Susanne Newbold Sandy Whiting 
    • $100 
    • 29 mos
  • Malyn Wells 
    • $150 
    • 31 mos
  • Rebecca Adams 
    • $30 
    • 31 mos
  • Christine richardson 
    • $50 
    • 31 mos
See all

Organizer and beneficiary

Laura Moorehead 
Hāwī, HI
Char Parada