The passing of our Deb Cotton has left a huge hole in our hearts, but we will celebrate her in true New Orleans style and ensure that her legacy endures.
We are launching this GoFundMe campaign to help with memorial costs and to set up a permanent archive for Deb's writings and videos.
Please do not only support the fund, and DO plan to come to this amazing celebration!!!
Saturday, June 10, 2017
Memorial Service at the Carver Theater (2101 Orleans Avenue) from 11am-1pm
Second line with a horse and glass carriage carrying Deb’s Urn down Orleans Ave, Left onto Claiborne, Right onto St. Philip and through the Heart of the Tremé
End by the Candelight Lounge with a Block Party at the Tuba Fats Square.
WHAT TO WEAR: RED!
WHAT IS BEING DONATED:
* The historic Carver Theatre is donating its audtorium for the memorial service.
* TBC Brass Band will play during the service and lead the second line for no charge. Other musicians will also join in at no charge. It is right and fitting to pay the musicians for playing at the block party.
* Second line clubs whose members were beloved by Deb and who loved her right back will dress out in their attire.
WHY FUNDS ARE NEEDED:
* City permits for the second line and block party ($300)
* Printing and flowers for the memorial service and altar ($600)
* Horse and carriage for Deb’s Urn (negotiating!)
* A stage, sound system, bands and bathrooms for the block party ($5,200)
* Indoor rental with a/c for family elders during block party ($500)
We have already raised over $1,000 through a fund at the New Orleans Musicians’ Clinic and Assistance Foundation (NOMAF). If you prefer to support our efforts through this non-profit organization, go to: http:// neworleansmusiciansclinic.org/ support-us/donate/
At the prompt asking whether the gift is made in honor of anyone, please fill in "Deb Cotton." The donation will then be attributed to Deb’s donor advised fund. (You do not automatically get a receipt on the site, but you do receive an email confirmation.)
You can also send a check with Deb Cotton written in the memo line, made out to NOMAF and sent to NOMAF; 1525 Louisiana Avenue; New Orleans, LA 70115.
OR, you can support the celebration and archive preservation by donating here on GoFundMe.
In addition to her books, articles and blogs, Deborah leaves behind a priceless legacy of over 1,000 video recordings of second line culture. Any funds that we may have leftover from the memorial will go towards the preservation and archiving of her life work.
Thank you so much for your consideration of our request for support to honor our beloved friend.
Here are some links obituaries that describe incredible, brilliant, talented and courageous woman.
Deborah Cotton, longtime Gambit second line correspondent, dies at 52
Deborah Cotton, writer shot in 2013 Mother's Day second-line shooting, dies at 52
Editorial: Remembering Deborah "Big Red" Cotton
- Amber Washington
- Pagoda Cafe
- Laylah Barrayn
- Milly Daniel
Organizer and beneficiary
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more