Candice is out of surgery and in recovery. I have not been able to see her yet but I have talked to both of her doctors.
The Neurosurgeon was able to remove 100% of the tumor. Regrowth is still possible but less likely with 100% removal.
The Cranial Plastic Surgeon did have to do a skin graft in order to close the incision.
Candice will be in ICU 1-2 nights and in the hospital for 7 days.
Thank you for all the thoughts and prayers and to everyone who has reached out.
Candice Harriman will be headed to Stanford University Medical Center for a full craniotomy on March 1st to prayerfully remove the remaining 50% of the tumor from her brain! However this does not mean she will be cancer free but rather increases the survival rate. In addition to the full craniotomy she will be dealing with Osteomyelitis which is a bone infection in her skull. If her skin is too bad from this infection they will have to do a scalp rotation and skin graph on the back of her head in order for the gap to close and sutures hold. We are praying this is not the case as this will be another open wound that would have to be watched closely. We and even the doctors do not know the exact plan as far as closing the skin, but that will be decided during the surgery. Due to these complications a Neurosurgeon and a Craniofacial Plastic Surgeon will be performing the surgery together in order for the best outcome. They will be using a special suture, due to these other conditions, that will be required to stay in longer than the normal stitches. If you've followed her journey she had this same infection back in October however it has re-opened and became reinfected due to her Ehlers Danlos which is a connective tissue disorder. She will be in the ICU for 1-2 days following the surgery and will remain in the hospital for 4-10 days after that. Once she is released, her and her husband Shannon will be staying in San Francisco until the medical staff can remove sutures 2-3 weeks after surgery and they feels she is healed enough and has no more remaining complications to return home! This is estimated to be 3-4 weeks.
You can reach out to me, Jacob Johnson or her husband, Shannon and his # is [phone redacted] and between the 2 of us we will be updating throughout this journey. This family truly appreciates any and all help. There is no gesture too small.
Candice is one of the most selfless and kind hearted people I know. She is a mom to 3 amazing kids, a wife, and also the co-treasurer and emergency response coordinator for our 501c3 Non-profit organization known as American ResQ. Her and her family fight a lot of medical issues amongst the family and are constantly going to doctors either across town or across the U.S., but this woman always finds time to give to others. So I've decided it's time someone helps take of her for a change! With all that said I'm asking everyone who takes the time to read this and feels led to help this family by donating to help cover extremely expensive lodging which is going to be $4500-$5100 for the time they are there. Please share my post to spread the word of her courageous journey and most important please keep her in your prayers as the next month or two will test her but I know how strong she is and have no doubt that she will pull through this too. There is Power in Prayer.