Cancel that Cancer!

Hello Friends, Family and Loved Ones, It all started in January of 2020, when Jeremiah and I got the seasonal winter colds. Only, unfortunately Jeremiahs cold just wasn't going away He suffered for an additional three months until I had to drag him to emergency. It didn't help that we were knee deep in the beginnings of a global Covid-19 Pandemic. The doctors called it pneumonia and for a time it really looked like he was getting better. Spider veins started to develop on his chest and by then we had to seek a second opinion. We had 0 Health insurance. May 2020 it was identified as a Metastatic Tumor. I remember the day Jeremiah came home from our local clinic (he went alone since only the patient was allowed indoors at the time) in tears and my heart sank immediately fearing the worst. We were a young couple faced with a cruel reality.  We were scared. There was no dancing around it. As soon as we got the news we notified family on what this might turn into. In the continuing months we struggled(ing) through the Medi-Cal system and as I'm typing this we are still fighting for some kind of assistance from them. We've run into constant error and hoops just trying to prepare for the future but so far we have been bounced back and forth from covered california to medi-cal taking a big hit to appointments that could have been made in the wake of clerical errors through this ridiculous system. Cancelled treatments. Losing time. Its now October 2nd 2020 and the year's almost over. All the while the doctors that we could hold on to temporarily gave Jeremiahs tumor a name. Non Hodgkin's Lymphoma The Bad News: - Its Cancer :( - 10 cm and growing - Attached to the center left of his chest wall and hindering his left lung ( he cant run without severe fatigue and coughing fits) - He wont admit it but he is losing weight and losing muscle - Its aggressive  - He suffers through sharp relentless pain every day. The Good News! -It's treatable! ( yay) - The doctors (Dr. Edward H from Sharp San Diego) have found a treatment that can be 97% EFFECTIVE and with quick action can start treatment immediately (although since an error was made and the Medi-cal offices his coverage needs an exemption sign off putting everything in limbo...I know! and this is the good news portion!) -Its the primary mass. this means so far they have only found the main cancer in his chest area and we have caught it in a timely manner -You! you're the good news. If you have read through this then you know that you are also the good news.  your support your love your compassion  I don't know how much help we will need in the coming months, but any help be it just a helping hand or donation will increase Jeremiahs chances of survival. If we can make it to his treatments and being able to afford basic needs with Jeremiah being out of work that would be amazing. The world doesn't stop and wait for you to catch up to it, its the people around you who stand with you and wait with you.                                                 Thank You.


 See top
  • Anonymous 
    • $120 
    • 5 d
  • Anonymous 
    • $30 
    • 11 d
  • Anonymous 
    • $50 
    • 28 d
  • Anonymous 
    • $40 
    • 1 mo
  • Geoffrey Cassell 
    • $200 
    • 1 mo
See all

Organizer and beneficiary

Cassandra Avila 
La Mesa, CA
Jeremiah Bjork 

  • #1 fundraising platform

    People have raised more money on GoFundMe than anywhere else. Learn more

  • GoFundMe Guarantee

    In the rare case that something isn’t right, we will refund your donation. Learn more

  • Expert advice, 24/7

    Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more