I, Jason Cheng, will be volunteering for the BC Camp Choice Society on the week of August 7-11, 2017
The society is a registered not-for-profit in the province of British Columbia, Canada.
The original Camp Choice has been operating successfully just outside of San Francisco, California, USA for the past 20 years.
It's mission is to "empower youth to create positive change in themselves and their communities by realizing the power of choice, responsibility and their effectiveness as positive leaders."
CAMP CHOICE BC AND MY INVOLVEMENT
I will be volunteering as a "Coach" in a one-week camp for youths on Zajac Ranch in Mission, BC:
These kids do not get the opportunity to just "be a kid", as they are faced with adult situations and choices every day.
The camp runs every year to:
- Give youths the opportunity to be kids for a week in a safe community of caring, loving adults.
- Educate youths on the 5 keys to community which are: leadership, respect, teamwork, responsibility, and courage.
- Engage youths in exercises and lectures that have been adapted from courses utilized in company training seminars, personal development classes, and leadership.
- Have youths Take part in physical and mental challenges accompanied by creative outlets such as art projects and even a talent show.
WHY AM I DOING THIS?
- This spring I participated in PSI Seminar's Basic and Advanced programs. I learned about Camp Choice BC during Basic and was determined to get involved.
- At the Advanced course in May 2017, I made profound discoveries about myself and trust in others.
- The team running this camp is comprised of AMAZING people.
- The youths will leave with something that lasts beyond their visit.
- Some of the youths are from the neighbourhood I grew up in. Its personal.
WHY YOU SHOULD DONATE
Communities are driven by the people that live in them. Providing an opportunity for youths to make better decisions is critical to ensuring communities stay healthy. It costs roughly $1000 per youth to cover the costs of room, board, and all activities.
- Trung Lu
- Kelvin Leung
- Louis Taylor
- Monica Freeman
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more