Learn more about the BVSD School Food Project here
The BVSD Teaching Kitchen will serve as a community hub, bringing people together for culinary literacy workshops, vocational learning and hands-on training for students and staff. As part of the BVSD Culinary Center, to open in July 2020, BVSD Food Services, in collaboration with the Boulder Technical Education Center (T.E.C.), propose the installation of a fully-equipped teaching kitchen.
The goals of the Teaching Kitchen are as follows:
· Culinary arts career and technical education program for students - Professional, workforce-ready training that can funnel into internships within BVSD Culinary Center.
· Collaboration with Community Food Share, Boulder County, and other area organizations to host food/culinary literacy workshops - Cooking classes and nutrition education programs to increase our community’s food knowledge, focusing on the food system, nutrition, and food preparation.
· In-house training/professional development program for BVSD Food Services staff - Professional learning to support our own staff in advancing within our department, including training on the latest trends and techniques so they can contribute most effectively to our department’s success.
· Team building workshops for other BVSD departments and outside organizations - Hands-on cooking events to encourage team building and bonding, and improved communication and collaboration, resulting in a delicious, scratch-cooked meal.
· Continuing education program for community adults and children - Cooking classes will teach participants tips and techniques for cooking as a family. Fee-based workshops will open students’ eyes to the world of farm to fork cooking.
This program will include recruiting, various types of events, contacts, kitchen set-up, equipment, pricing, and menu development. It will enable students to present and plan various stations of buffet set-ups and to demonstrate techniques of tableside service. The culinary arts student will be introduced to planning menus and integrating them into food service operations while providing the practical skills and knowledge for effective management of food and beverage service in cafeterias, coffee shops, room service, banquet areas and full-service dining rooms. Nutrition for the hospitality profession and the preparation of foods and beverages in varied settings will be integrated throughout.
More information about Boulder Valley School District: The mission of the Boulder Valley School District is to create challenging, meaningful and engaging learning opportunities so that all children thrive and are prepared for successful, civically engaged lives.
- Mollie Shatek
- Curry Rosato
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more