After being at the mercy of the mortgage lending debacle and losing my home and forced to go through bankruptcy over three years ago, I suddenly and unexpectedly hit an even harder "rock bottom" recently. I was already flat broke, and barely surviving off a very small income from someone who has just passed away. Although only 64 years old, he had suffered a stroke 2 1/2 years ago, needed my help and has been my accountant and acted as manager of past solo art shows. So, suddenly, this meager yet essential income has evaporated, AND a place to store all of my stuff from my house that was being stored on his property. His family is insisting that all of my things have to be removed from that property very quickly, and the clock is ticking ominously!
The problem is - I'm so flat broke that I don't even have funds for a storage unit. I also used this house as my own mailing address, and my ailing mom's mailing address for all her medical and government correspondence since she is exhibiting signs of dementia and currently in assisted living. I was just starting to implement a well constructed plan to get fully back on my feet and to move to Los Angeles when all this unexpectedly happened.
I do NOT have any kind of "safety net". No savings, barely any checking, nothing else.
I have a very real chance of losing EVERYTHING and being on the street. And by everything I am also referring to my 25 years of life's work: archives in the skateboard, surf, music, and clothing worlds. This includes a lot of original art, archives and collections from Blockhead Skateboards
, Acme Skateboards, and RVCA Clothing. Most of which was being prepared for my own "skate culture" graphics book that was slated to be released late 2015. The family doesn't understand what all this stuff is and does not care. If I don't move it out of there, they will have it all put out on the sidewalk for garbage pick up. They have made this VERY clear. This is VERY serious. I have had to seek legal counsel about this to defend myself, so I will also have attorney fees on top of everything else.
WHAT YOUR DONATIONS WILL PAY FOR:
- A 10' x 25' A/C desert storage unit ($300.00/mo.) to safely house all my possessions for a few months until I can find a place in Los Angeles to set up a small living/working space, then move everything there.
- Gas and food money to drive to Sacramento to take my mom to cancer surgeries in August / September.
- Potentially major legal expenses. (Average $250.00/hour)
- Help pay rent on a small studio apartment ($700.00/mo.) for 3 months to buy time until I can get back on stable financial ground, i.e. securing a stable job/income.
- A P.O. Box (1 year rental $128.00) to use as my and my mom's new mailing address.
- To help pay minimal bills like cell phone ($50.00/mo.), utilities ($125.00/mo.), car insurance ($80.00/mo.), gas, food, etc…
- Some "get by" money so I can get through September when hopefully, I'll be leaving the Coachella Valley for Los Angeles.
- Immediate art supplies to create art to sell on my future website shop.
As BONUS INCENTIVES for donors, I have set up many "Reward Levels" where you can, in return, receive many art items from my past art shows and newer things. These will include: rare t-shirts, art show silk-screen posters, gallery prints, hand-drawn post cards, original art, commissioned artwork, The Way Out mix-tape CD's, etc…
ADD-ON INFORMATION / Aug 11, 2014:
Since GoFundMe does not allow photos or full descriptions for the Rewards Level Gifts, here is a DIRECT URL LINK to full descriptions and photos on a FaceBook Photo Album:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152600340512[phone redacted]741[phone redacted]87234&type=1&l=e63924b793
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more