AT The Forefront, INC a Washington, DC 501c3, is a Black women led think tank dedicated to elevating the voices of black women and girls globally, to promote diversity, equity and inclusion.
We recognize that due to systemic race and gender bias, Black adolescent girls have limited opportunities to have access to safe, youth-driven spaces to fully pursue their dreams and determine their own futures. This is why we’re are launching BRIGHT (Black girls Revolutionise, Influence Globally, Heal, and Thrive), which will provide platforms encouraging Black girls across the African continent and the US to uplift their voices and strategize their own solutions.
Through your support ATF will pilot BRIGHT and accomplish the following:
- Identify a cohort of adolescent girls aged 15-19 years in the US, Kenya, and Sierra Leone to offer a girl-youth centered safe space for psychosocial support,
- Through a highly process process of Black women mentors, we will offer mentoring, coaching and guidance for educational advancement and a career advice
- Design and conduct a mixed-method study -with youth friendly data collection approaches (ex: listening sessions) to gather deep insights into the key challenges that prevent Black adolescent girls from thriving
- ATF aims to design and launch a mixed-method study targeting African American, Caribbean American, and West African immigrant adolescent girls aged 15-17 years living in the US, Sierra Leone and Kenya. The study aims to gather critical perceptions to inform ATF's youth, girl-centered holistic health initiative to inform the design and launch. We seek to equip a diverse team of researchers, including youth, as moderators that will collect and explore how intersectionality impacts the overall health outcomes of Black adolescent girls. The study will explore the potential driving variants, including race, gender, sexual orientation, ability, geographic location, and HIV/AIDS status. The study will also identify the key motivating factors to adhere to health prevention, treatment, and agency promotion.
- Provide community building with a Pan-African intersectional feminist lens-to illuminate global linkages