Brantlees PLE

Update 02/12/2020 At Brantlee’s check up, his proteins were still extremely low. His cholesterol was also at 15, when a normal cholesterol in dogs is 200. He’s also low in B vitamins. We are running the scope in his belly tomorrow to see if there’s something we’re missing. That’s another $2000 procedure Update 02/08/2020 After being hospitalized overnight, Brantlee had severe lethargy while I was visiting him at the hospital. He would stare at the wall, then his eyes would roll back in his head. He was hardly responding to anything I’d say. He’s also down to only 34 pounds. So, we decided it would be best to bring him home where he is happy and comfortable, and in the case of any respiratory issues, we would have him put down considering he’s been on 4-5 different treatments and he’s currently on 8 medications. BUT Once he got home, he was back outside looking for lizards like it was nothing. We’re praying for a miracle for him!❤️ hope he pulls through this. My little man is A CHAMP! Update- Brantlee has been back to the hospital several times with liquid diarrhea and vomiting since being discharged. Today, his specialist said he's worried about "my sweet puppy" because his gastrointestinal tract is worse than when I brought him in. We are basically having a hard time killing the cryptosporidium in his GI tract because of the fact that the PLE is causing his gut to be so inflamed that the bacteria is living in the has pockets and crevasses of the inflammation of his Gi tract. This also means, he's not retaining many proteins at all. He is also not digesting much of anything. Most of what he eats, he's vomiting up. So after calling about 15 different compound pharmacies, we have now ordered him the very rare/new medication called nitazoxinide to aggressively fight this bacteria. This is basically our last option for him ❤️ Brantlee has been diagnosed with Protein Losing Enteropathy. His GI tract basically is having a hard time holding onto proteins. They’re not sure the cause of it. Could be cancer, could be heart disease, could be from parasites, there’s lots of different things. After noticing diarrhea and vomiting and bloating, I took him to the vet. They said he was very dehydrated and very low in proteins. So they recommended that I leave him there for a few hours for treatment, so I did. His proteins then dropped even lower, but they told me to feed him wet food.  After giving him dinner, his belly got extremely swollen, so I followed my gut and rushed him to the ER at midnight where they said he needed to stay with them on 24/7 supervision because he was full of fluids, and if they got into his chest or limbs, it could be really bad. He has been hospitalized since Friday January 17, 2020. Hoping to bring him home tomorrow, January 20, 2020. In total, all of these vet bills have costed over $4000. I am a former college student from The University of Florida who already has over $35,000 in student loans. I have almost maxed out credit cards to save him, as well as taking out a care credit to save my dog’s life because he is MY LIFE, but I’m not sure how I’m going to pay the bills. Anything helps.

Donations ()

  • Tara Thompson  
    • $25 
    • 4 d
  • David Crutchfield 
    • $100 
    • 5 d
  • Haley Gabriel 
    • $25 
    • 5 d
  • Darren Higdon 
    • $10 
    • 5 d
  • Susan Hampton 
    • $19 
    • 7 d
See all


Halie Slabaugh 
Middleburg, FL
  • #1 fundraising platform

    People have raised more money on GoFundMe than anywhere else. Learn more

  • GoFundMe Guarantee

    In the rare case that something isn’t right, we will refund your donation. Learn more

  • Expert advice, 24/7

    Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more