Following the tremendous success of last year's Brain in Hand Minecraft Marathon, which raised an INCREDIBLE £1,045 for the amazing local charity Positively Autistic, it's time to get building for another 24-hour Minecraftathon!
On Friday April 5th we'll commence our annual building bonanza, which this year will have an underwater vibe: it's the Maritime Minecraft Marathon, involving underwater and coastal creations. We'll be in Creative mode, meaning that we don't need to worry about running out of blocks but will be free to build whatever we like; you can watch us play at twitch.tv/braininhand
. Plus, anyone can join in and build with us!
This year we're raising money for another fantastic local charity: SOCOPS, whose work with children on the autistic spectrum emphasises the importance of support for the whole family.
Children benefit from accessing activities such as art, music, dance, cooking, sports, team games, storytelling, animal experiences, and family trips out. Siblings (young carers) are activity encouraged to join in with these activities which are aimed at providing a positive experience for the autistic child whilst improving social interactive skills, self-esteem and confidence.
Parents and carers are also welcome to relax and enjoy a cuppa together, providing mutual support and passing on tips and shared experiences. Plus there are leaflets, signposts to advice and other services, and guest speakers.
SOCOPS share Brain in Hand's vision that everyone achieves their potential. Find out more about Brain in Hand's work here
, and SOCOPS here
Every penny raised will go straight to SOCOPS to help them continue delivering these amazing services, so please donate and spread the word! And, of course, please do join us on April 5th to bring your seafaring sculptures and oceanic objects to life!
If you want to join us, you’ll need to install the original Minecraft “Java Edition” on Windows, Mac or Linux (no other “edition” of the game on any platform can join, unfortunately; even the Windows 10 Edition). If you don’t already have it, you can get it from the official Minecraft website
, although it currently costs £17.95 to purchase. If you’re not sure, you can try logging in to your Mojang account
Once downloaded and installed, you’ll need to set it up to play the same version that our server is running, and then join the server! So here’s how to do that:
- In the Minecraft Launcher, click ‘Launch options’ (up near the top), then ‘Add new’ at the top of the list that appears. (It’ll just say ‘latest release’ if you’ve never added any others.)
- Now change the ‘Version’ to ‘Release 1.12.2’ and click ‘Save’. If you click ‘News’ at the top now, you can use the up arrow next to the big green ‘Play’ button at the bottom to select your new version, and click ‘Play’ to start the game! It could take a few minutes to download, so be patient.
- Once you’ve opened up the game, you should be in the main menu. Now select ‘Multiplayer’, then click on ‘Add Server’.
- In the window that opens, enter the following details:
- Server Name: Brain in Hand (or, actually, you can put whatever you want as long as you can recognise it!)
- Server address: minecraft.braininhand.co.uk
- Now click ‘Done’, select the server from the list and click ‘Join Server’, and you’re in!
Anybody will be able to join our server, so we ask everyone to be considerate of others and not harass anyone. If anyone’s being not very nice to others, they’ll get a warning. We hope not to have to ban anyone, but we can and will ban anyone if they cause too much trouble or continue to deliberately upset others. Everybody deserves to have fun, so please just don’t ruin anyone else’s fun.
See you on April 5th!