Bone Marrow Transplant Expenses

Last year, my brother Kevin (age 21) was hospitalized for almost 2 months when he was diagnosed with a rare bone disease called, Aplastic Anemia (also known as Bone Marrow Anemia).  The Mayo Clinic defines Aplastic Anemia as “a rare condition in which the body stops producing enough new blood cells”.  Rather than going straight to a bone marrow transplant, his team of doctors at Moffitt Cancer Center decided to have Kevin undergo an aggressive treatment plan and monitor his progress through medication and ongoing blood tests.  Initially, Kevin’s condition improved significantly.  He began working part-time and received a scholarship to study Computer Systems and Information Technology at a local college.

Unfortunately, Kevin will have to put his life on hold again to endure further treatment. His condition has declined to the point that Kevin now needs a bone marrow transplant.  Because God is so good, my brother Keith (age 22) is a perfect match for Kevin. Only 25% - 30% of all patients in need of a bone marrow transplant have a match in their immediate family. The other 70% - 75% must hope for a match within the bone marrow registry,

Kevin will be admitted to the hospital on Friday, April 12, 2019.  He will receive very aggressive chemotherapy treatments for the first five days.  His transplant is scheduled for Thursday, April 18, 2019.  The recovery time frame is approximately 3 months.  Kevin will need 24-hr care and he must be within 15 minutes of Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa, Florida which is approximately an hour from our home in Sarasota, Florida.  Therefore, my mother will take an unpaid leave of absence to be Kevin’s full-time caregiver.  They will need to find temporary housing in Tampa during his 3-month recovery.  

Donations will be used for housing, food, medical co-pays, and other essentials not covered by insurance.  Every donation is helpful and very much appreciated.  Thank you for your prayers and support.

For more information on becoming a donor, please visit:

Additional information:

Donations (44)

  • Gregory Cosby
    • $100 
    • 5 yrs

Organizer and beneficiary

Nakia Keke Liggins
Sarasota, FL
LaWanda Curry-Roberts

Your easy, powerful, and trusted home for help

  • Easy

    Donate quickly and easily.

  • Powerful

    Send help right to the people and causes you care about.

  • Trusted

    Your donation is protected by the  GoFundMe Giving Guarantee.