UPDATE: The team would like to present the best festival possible and in light of several issues, we are postponing Black X Film Festival 2021 until October 15-17.
LAST YEAR WE RAISED OVER $14,000 TO PAY FILMMAKERS ($4,000+) AND NONPROFITS ($7,000+). THIS YEAR WE'D LIKE TO DO IT AGAIN AND YOU CAN HELP US REACH OUR GOAL!
WATCH OUR NEW TRAILER, ABOVE.
WHO WE ARE
The Black X Film Festival is a three-day film festival (October 15-17) started by a collective of Black artists and allies to showcase Black creators. Through providing this free event of music and film, we showcase the radical multifaceted expressions of the Black experience by centering Black creativity and a commitment to anti-racism.
We intentionally named the film festival, Black X, to play into the multiplicity of meanings of ‘X’; where X may be seen as an abbreviation of eXperience, a celebration of Black eXistence, and an homage to Malcolm X. ‘X’ is a crossroads offering the opportunity to choose to employ Black success as a revolution of social order, over the violent complacency that has shaped and characterized contemporary society.
Financial support received via fundraising and grants affords the fair compensation of Black artists and the donation of funds to organizations that are working on the ground to protect and nurture Black lives. All films are guaranteed an online showing with the potential for an in-person screening as conditions allow.
- 10 countries in attendance; 400+ attendees
- 9.3/10 satisfaction rating from attendees
- Over 80% of featured creators were women or nonbinary
With your support, we will:
* Celebrate the participating artists via recognition and compensation
* Raise funds to support multiple organizations that are working on the ground, for Black lives.
WITH $20K WE CAN
- Pay each participating filmmaker
- Host a celebratory opening ceremony
- Host a keynote speech by a renowned Black filmmaker
- Donate at least $10k of the funds to our chosen charities (to be announced later in the campaign)
- 20% for administrative costs and expenditures (GoFundMe/fiscal sponsorship)
- 10% to continue the work that we do (no individual on our team will be directly compensated from this campaign)
- 70% for paying approximately 20 creatives for their work and five (5) organizations doing work on the ground for Black lives
We can only accomplish these goals with YOUR HELP! Thank you for supporting Black art and Black Lives.
All donations made to the festival are tax-deductible. We are fiscally sponsored by Reflective Image, a 501(c)3 nonprofit, led by Academy- and Emmy-winning directors Rob Epstein and Jeffrey Friedman.
DonationsSee top donations
- Marissa Shadburn
- Leah McLean
- Danielle Jones
Fundraising team (4)
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more