At 5am on Easter Monday, Billy woke up to the fire alarm at 74 Parry St, Cooks hill, chirping away. He immediately ran to the source of the smoke, Brownie's bedroom and saw it glowing. Fearing Brownie was asleep he quickly opened the door to find a raging inferno, but fortunately no Brownie.
Billy (who was naked at the time) had time to grab his phone, his laptop, and his cat - Cat Stevens - and run out back door. By the time he called 000, the house was ablaze and full of smoke. He didn't have time to salvage any other possessions.
The cause is suspected to be an electrical wiring fault. The boys returned to the house today (Tuesday 3rd April) to find every possession they owned destroyed.
On the plus side, they're both alive! It could have very easily been a different story, and for that we're all very grateful.
On the negative, the guys have lost everything. They've lost items of irreplaceable sentimentality such as their photos and old footy jerseys. They've lost their clothes, technology, furniture, records, and 13 surf boards between them... As you can imagine it's a long list. Priceless memories.
Any help that you can provide to help the boys through this terrible time so they can begin to rebuild their lives would be whole heartedly appreciated.
Please service your fire alarms!
Some admin details:
My name is Brendan Swansborough, I've been a good mate of both Billy and Brownie for over 10 years. I live in Newcastle, NSW. Once the GoFundMe has ended the funds will go directly into the guys accounts so that they can start to replace all of the items that they've lost.
- Lucy Dwyer
- Dave Kitching
- Bear MCGRATH
- Danielle Di-Masi
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more