GOAL OF THE CAMPAIGN: providing Zambian students and teachers with 10,500 bikes, to support educational programmes on agroecology and literacy.
· The bikes will be collected from donations of public or private entities. We also intend to purchase bikes to be sent directly to Zambia by manufacturers, when cost conditions make it more convenient.
· We want to get all 10,500 bikes in the first semester of 2021.
· The initial goal of the campaign is to reach 30,000 euros, in order to cover expenses on:
- purchase of (used/new) bikes
- storage expenses (warehouses)
- freight, shipping, customs and taxes
- repair, maintenance costs
- bank fees and other miscellaneous expenses
- campaigning and communication materials
Watch our campaign video, "Bicicleatas para Zâmbia": https://youtu.be/WFzLgOIa9wQ
1. Introduction: Samora Machel Internationalist Brigade in Zambia
The Via Campesina Samora Machel Internationalist Brigade is a collective of Brazilian militants who has been active in the African continent since 2008, in partnership with local organizations of rural and city workers.
Since 2017, the La Via Campesina - Samora Machel Brigade has been working in Zambia, engaging in education programmes on the fronts of agroecology, women's organization, popular health and literacy for young people and adults. These activities have been developed on the outskirts of cities and in rural villages in different provinces.
2. Literacy and agroecology campaign for youth and adults
Since July 2019, a literacy campaign has been organized, organized by a collective formed by the Samora Machel Brigade, popular educators and Brazilian university professors and militant professors from the Zambia Education Foundation. The three collectives work together both in the elaboration of an education method based on Paulo Freire's pedagogical theory, as well as in the successful experiences carried out in Latin America and some African countries.
Currently, due to the Covid-19 pandemic and challenging sanitary conditions in the country, where only 48% of the population has access to drinking water and 54% live in conditions of extreme poverty, we are prioritizing actions in the area of agroecology and literacy that will be our strategic focus in the next period, since 55.3% of the country's population is not literate.
The educational programs by the Samora Machel Brigade have more than 120 teachers working voluntarily, and 7 provinces involving around 3,800 literacy students. But the goal is to reach 10,500 students across the country and receiving bicycles would be essential to ensure the completion of this process. Contributing to the access of Zambian families to the human right to read and write.
3. The "Bicycles for Zambia" donation campaign
The challenge of this collective is to create a teaching method that can teach 10,500 people to read and write in Zambia. The long distances (which can vary between 15 km, 25 or 30 km) that students and teachers have to cover to attend classes, is a major challenge for the development of the educational programmes. Such limits are configured as concrete needs that the use of bicycles could solve.
Therefore, we are setting up a campaign with the goal of providing Zambian students and teachers with 10,500 bikes, to support educational programmes on agroecology and literacy.
To support the agro-ecology literacy and training program, we set the goal of bringing 10,500 bicycles to Zambia in the first semester of the year 2021.
To this end, we have proposed two ways to take bicycles to Zambia:
- by purchasing bicycles (new or used), which arrive directly in Zambia;
- by sending used bicycles obtained from donations from private organizations (foundations, NGOs) or from public bodies (local governments, municipalities, etc.).
In both cases, we need financing. In the first case, to buy the bicycles and get them into the country. In the second case, to meet the various costs: freight, shipping, storage, as well as the possible costs of repairing used bikes.
- CARLOS NEVES
- Pedro Christoffoli
Your donation matters
Organizer and beneficiary
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more