Are you intrigued by the "untold stories" of the American Revolution?
Do you support history education?
Do you value and support all of our amazing historical locations?
If so, please join us in bringing the American Revolution to life in a new and visually compelling way!!!
Benedict Arnold is one of the most misunderstood and reviled characters in all of American history. His treason has overshadowed his accomplishments. By examining his achievements, the audience will gain a whole new perspective, not only of the man, but the birth of our nation and the true cost involved.
The activity in the Northern Theater of the American Revolution played a more significant role in our independence than the more famous battles in other regions. But the history of the Northern campaign of the Revolutionary War has been given short shrift because to tell that story is to tell Arnold’s story.
The British strategy to invade the colonies from Canada through the strategic Champlain and Hudson corridor played the most critical role in winning American independence. Specifically, Benedict Arnold’s naval defense of Lake Champlain in 1776 and his victory at Saratoga in 1777 were more significant to the final outcome of the war than any other battle of the war.
Why This Film Is Important
Benedict Arnold: Hero Betrayed challenges preconceived notions about the American Revolution and how our nation came into being. Many Americans do not like to think that our Revolution and its leadership had flaws, and that some people were treated poorly by the Revolutionary leadership.
Through Arnold’s story we will gain insight into the political and personal upheavals that fueled our independence while adding an untold and essential archive to the American historical record.
Hour One: Hero - Focuses on Arnold’s battlefield exploits as a General in Continental Army along the shores of Lake Champlain at the Battle of Valcour, Hudson Valley of New York, into the British strong hold of Canada during the siege of Quebec, through the Maine wilderness before culminating in his sacrifice and heroism at the Battle of Saratoga… the turning point of the Revolution.
Hour Two: Betrayed - Exposes the dark underbelly of the American Revolution; the bitter rivalries, political intrigue, personal favoritism, and deceit, which leads to the great American tragedy of Benedict Arnold’s return to British side at West Point.
About the Production
The American Revolution as never seen before…
· Starring Peter O’Meara as Benedict Arnold, from Steven Spielberg’s epic series Band of Brothers.
· Story based on the critically acclaimed book by James Kirby Martin Benedict Arnold, Revolutionary Hero | An American Warrior Revisited.
· Over 20 hours of live action principal photography, shot in both HD and Super16mm film.
· Over 30 hours of interviews, with the world’s foremost authorities, historians and authors on the American Revolution.
· Shooting utilized most of the actual historical locations from the real-life events that took place on the Eastern seaboard, Canada and New York State.
· Completion of state-of-the-art digital effects designed to re-create the 18th century ships, fortresses, colonial villages, and other visual elements of the period.
· The most comprehensive telling of the Battle of Saratoga ever created.
· First to tell the story of America’s first naval battle at Valcour Island on Lake Champlain.
Status of the Film
The program is currently in the final completion stage of post-production which consists of remaining visual effects, audio recording, score, narration, and final sound mix in preparation for delivery and distribution.
· Our budget breakdown covers the final post-production stage of the project.
· We have set a goal of $40k to cover all of these expenses.
· If our funding goals fall short, we will adjust the volume and complexity of our visual effects and adjust other expense categories to complete and deliver the film.
VFX Ship Wireframes & Compositing
VFX Video Example
What the Documentary Means to Us
We are uniquely qualified to tell this story. The three principal executives on the production team were born and raised in the Saratoga region. As young school children, we grew up visiting the very locations depicted in the film… hallowed grounds like the Saratoga Battlefield, Fort Ticonderoga, Fort Stanwix and West Point.
The Revolutionary events that took place in upstate New York are an essential part of our local lore and cultural heritage.
· We passionately believe that the Hudson River corridor and the events that took place in the upstate region have not received the global and national recognition they so richly deserve.
· We believe our film will drive tourism visitation, generate revenue for local businesses who service these historical locations and educate a whole new generation of Americans about the Revolution and its impact.
The American Revolution might have begun in Massachusetts, but the war was WON in New York State… Benedict Arnold: Hero Betrayed will show you why!
The lion share of funding for the documentary has come through generous personal investment and a multitude of corporate, civic and organizational grants.
· Recently, the production team was working on a completion grant with an educational institution that unfortunately fell through.
· The donations that we receive from this GoFundMe effort will be the most valuable and heroic of all… because you will literally allow us to finish the film.
Other Ways You Can Help
We certainly recognize that some people can’t help us financially… But you can still help us get the word about the film. Please use the GoFundMe social sharing tools and please tell your family, friends, and colleagues to share.
On behalf of the whole Talon Films production team, actors, reenactors, artisans and funders…. THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT!!!
HUZZAH, HUZZAH, HUZZAH!!!
- Matthew Whiskeyman
- Francine Lynch
- Dave Munro
- Ronald Pinkerton
- Gavin Caruthers HVA Press
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more