October 2017 Update on the Bars4Ben Cross Bar Challenge:
Since we sent out the Challenge at the end of August we have had an overwhelming response from the local soccer community and beyond, raising over $37,000 to date for Ben Landel in his fight from over 275 groups or individuals.
In addition to the donations, the thoughts & prayers for Ben have meant the world to the entire Landel family. They have been following this site from the 1st day we started and have expressed their thanks to all for the thoughts & prayers.
We are so pleased that so many Teams (soccer & others) have recorded their Cross Bar Challenges & sent in the videos. I was posting them to the site until it crashed... (too many videos / awesome), so we have compiled them in a You Tube Playlist where they are visible for all to see & enjoy.
If you wish to see ALL 25 + videos please go to:
Thanks to everyone that have helped in anyway towards this effort... The money raised is being transferred to a separate account (as req'd by Go Fund Me) completely under the Landels control just for everyones information.
Most importantly - Ben continues to fight & inspire us all along the way...
To our soccer friends,
At the end of May, a fellow soccer player and his family’s life was forever changed.
Ben Landel, a rising senior who plays soccer in the fall & runs track in the spring, was struggling with his breathing during his events. After several incorrect medical diagnosis they went to the Emergency room and quickly found out it was not a simple respiratory issue. Ben had several tumors that have since been determined to be a rare and powerful cancer.
Since that day in late May, Ben has completed 5 rounds of chemotherapy and is showing lots of progress. He still has a long road ahead, with an upcoming surgery in addition to continuing the aggressive chemo treatments for the rest of this fall.
All of us who are lucky enough to call Ben and his family “friends” want to help in any we we can, and that is where the idea of the Cross Bar Challenge came from. Since Ben has been a multi-sport athlete all his life, with soccer being one of his passions, his Ramapo HS soccer team is challenging all of the other soccer teams in the area (and beyond) to a friendly Cross Bar Challenge.
We are hoping you will participate and encourage others to do the same. We are confident through these efforts that Ben will benefit not only through fundraising but through the entire soccer community’s enthusiasm and spirit.
1. Have each member of your team take 3 shots at the Cross Bar from the 18.
2. For every ball that strikes the Cross Bar we would ask that you make a $10 donation to the Go Fund Me site that has been established for Ben (or simply make a donation from your team). The link to the GoFundMe is https://www.gofundme.com/ben-landel-cross-bar-challenge
3. Please video your event or take some photos and challenge other teams to do the same.
4. Post the video and/or photos on Facebook /Instagram to spread the word – with the hashtag #Bars4Ben
5. Most Importantly – Have Fun. Keep Ben in your thoughts & prayers along with everyone else fighting this dreadful disease. And lastly – have a great soccer season!!!
Thanks for taking the Challenge.
The Ramapo Boys Varsity Soccer Family