Remember my homeless friend Cliff and his dog, Lucy? So many of you graciously donated to put them up in a hotel room while we got her fixed.
Cliff and Lucy had been doing really well. Cliff saved his money bought a motorhome. I helped him with DMV and INS. They had a warm place to sleep at night with a hot plate to cook food.
I hadn’t heard from Cliff and had been feeling concerned. I kept calling his cell phone, only the number was disconnected. I had also been driving around to their normal parking spots, but they were nowhere to be found.
Last Friday I received a text, “This is Cliff please call me urgently”. I called instantly only to learn of the horrific tragedy that Cliff and Lucy had gone through.
On December 6th Cliff flicked his lighter to see if the thermostat was working inside his motorhome, it exploded! The explosion was so powerful that Cliff was blown through the dead-bolted door, another explosion followed right after. Lucy, Cliff’s beloved companion, and emotional support dog was locked in the cab of the motorhome. Cliff desperately tried to get his best friend from the front of the cab. Lucy was looking hopelessly at Cliff while he tried to smash the window of the cab, screaming for help, only to realize that the people standing around were taking photos and videos and doing nothing to help to help him save Lucy. Cliffs hands were so badly burned, that when he tried to pick up a rock to break Lucy free, he couldn’t get a firm grip and the rock slipped from his hands, his injuries were that severe. He used his fists to pound the glass to no avail.
Sweet Lucy was found, burnt to death curled up in a ball under the seat in the cab of their new home; a place they only got to enjoy for a short few months.
The first responders got there within minutes of the call, however, the 911 caller did not report there was a dog in the cab, the bystanders also failed to mention how Cliff was screaming for help to save Lucy. A man from a nearby apartment building helped Cliff by walking with him to the hospital down the street.
Cliff was put into a medically induced coma for a month due to the severity of his burns that covered 85% of his body. The hospital called his mother and said: “make arrangements we don’t think he will make it.” Cliff made it, but wishes he was with Lucy as the pain that is in his heart is nowhere near the pain that he is feeling all over his body. After being in the hospital for 6 weeks, it took Cliff another two weeks to remember my number and when I received the dreaded text “please call me urgently”.
Friends I desperately need your help! Everything of Cliffs is gone. His best friend, their shelter and the few belongings he had. Even as little as $5 will help as Cliff has nothing left and very little will to live. The images of Lucy are haunting Cliff and he’s beyond distraught. I know we cannot bring Lucy back, but we can show him that we care and Lucy’s life mattered to us, as does his.
Any resources are welcome. Please share so we can help him as a community. He loved his dog more then you could know. My heart is just broken. I love my little Lucy smiles.
He also needs:
Aquaphor for his burns
An umbrella to keep him from the sun.
Gift cards for food would be a huge help.
Jack in the Box
Are all close by
DonationsSee top donations
- Shannon Bray
- Jennifer Born
- NATASHA Mosley
- Patricia Casey
- Cherie Preston
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more