Bear's Emergency Medical Care Fund


Bear was in the ICU at the Toronto Emergency Veterinary Hospital from Monday, Oct 16th until Tuesday, Oct 24th.  He had to undergo emergency surgery for crystal blockage and a burst bladder. Bear was in a life-threatening situation, and because of this had to be monitored very closely. Due to the high costs of the ICU, we could really use your support in donating to Bear’s medical fund. His bill was just over $9000 and it would be very much appreciated if you could spare even a couple of dollars to help cover Bear’s extended stay in the ICU. Please read the full story below. Thank you in advance for your compassion. <3

On Monday morning (Oct 16th), I had taken Bear to the Pickering Animal Hospital after noticing that he had not been eating, drinking or using the litterbox for about a day. What I thought was probably a large hairball or constipation quickly turned into a life-threatening emergency.

Bear had crystal blockage and an enlarged bladder, and after many unsuccessful attempts to insert a catheter to drain his bladder, we were sent to the Emergency Hospital, TVEH. As quickly as we rushed to the Hospital, his bladder had burst, releasing toxins into his bloodstream, creating a dangerously high potassium level and posing an extreme risk of heart failure, especially considering his heart murmur. The amazing vet and vet techs at TVEH tried over 50 times to insert the catheter and said it was the most difficult insertion they have ever faced. It is extremely fortunate that the staff at TVEH are very highly skilled and so compassionate, and I believe this is what saved Bear’s life.

From the moment he arrived at the Emergency Hospital, the staff were also giving him calcium to reduce his potassium levels, and electrolytes because of his extreme dehydration. At this point, I was told that his kidneys may be permanently damaged and we may be looking at transferring him somewhere for dialysis. I was also informed that he had likely suffered two tears, one through his bladder wall and one through his urethra.

At this point, all we could do was wait. It was up to Bear’s strength if his heart would become stable and his kidneys would start to function properly again. I had been at the Hospital for over 5 hours at this point and because the ICU was incredibly busy, they said I wasn’t able to visit with him and I had to wait until the next day to see him. This was the longest night of my life. They had said they would call in the middle of the night if anything changed, but no news was good news. I stared at my phone this entire time, until at 7:30 am, when it rang and the vet told me that Bear had improved overnight, his potassium levels were reduced to almost normal and now they were just waiting to see if his kidneys would regain their regular function.

His kidneys completely regained their function on the morning of Wednesday, Oct 18th. He was producing a lot of urine as they continued to flush his system out. Bear seemed more like himself, was a lot more alert and was able to stand up on his own. They had switched him from fentanyl to morphine, and given him an appetite stimulant which led him to start eating regularly again. At this point, the vets were aiming to keep the catheter in for as long as possible to maximize healing of the two torn spots and allow him to urinate without further surgery.

They removed the catheter early in the morning of Tuesday, Oct 24th and thankfully he was able to urinate on his own. Later that afternoon, he was released from the hospital ICU and able to come home. He still has a long road to recovery, and time will tell how he will react to the catheter removal and the tears in his bladder and urethra beginning to heal. We are really hoping that he will not require more surgery.

We could really use your support in donating to Bear’s medical fund. His bill is just over $9000. It would be very much appreciated if you could spare even a couple of dollars to help cover Bear’s extended stay in the ICU.

Thank you in advance for your compassion. <3

Lauren (Bear’s Mom)

Final Bill from TVEH:

Bill from Pickering Animal Hospital:

Original Estimates from TVEH:
  • Elizabeth Schechter 
    • $20 
    • 43 mos
  • Anonymous 
    • $15 
    • 45 mos
  • Suzie Robertson 
    • $10 
    • 45 mos
  • Meagan Rawls 
    • $15 
    • 45 mos
  • Beth Voigt 
    • $25 
    • 45 mos
See all


Lauren Piasecki 
Toronto, ON
  • #1 fundraising platform

    More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more

  • GoFundMe Guarantee

    In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more

  • Expert advice, 24/7

    Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more