I am 4 months old.
3 weeks ago, I started to get flu like symptoms with temps reaching 40 degrees.
My mum took me to casualty, but i was turned away because I was happy.
3 days later, I went to my local gp unable to even lift my head. They sent me to emergency straight away and because I smiled at the dr I was sent home again!
The next morning, I returned to the gp and was sent back to casualty for a third time. I almost got sent home again because I sipped a bottle!
Thankfully, the dr decided to keep me for observation for 24hours.
That night I continued my 40 degree temps and started vomiting and at this stage I could not even open my eyes.
The dr came around in the morning and preformed a lumbar puncture on me and a swab of my nose.
Whilst I was awaiting results I started to have seizures! They were really scary. There wasnt much the doctors could do until my test results came back.
When they did, they read positive for Influenza A and bacterial meningitis!
I was started on antibiotics straight away.
The next day, I started having more seizures! One lasting more than 10 minutes! They could not stop them. It was decided that I be airlifted to a children's hospital in Sydney where i can get around the clock care from dedicated specialists.
Once there, I had an MRI.
To add to my list of problems my parents were informed that I:
1- have swelling and puss on my brain
2- I have a blood clot
3- I have had a stroke, and
4- I may need brain surgery!!
And as if it couldn't get any worse for me,I have contracted Rhino Virus and salmonella since being in the hospital! I continue to have strokes and seizures, the longest one so far has lasted 40 minutes!! And the puss on my brain is getting worse so still may require surgery.
I have to stay in hospital for 6 more weeks and have daily injections to dissolve my clot.
We wont know of any long term effects my illnesses have caused for a few more months, maybe even years.
I am still in Sydney with mum and dad. They haven't left my side!
I miss my 2 older sisters who are 2.5 hours away. They are struggling with my illness and separation.
I have been in hospital for 2 weeks now, and mum and dad are running out of money. All their bills are piling up now.
My daddy is thinking of returning to work to pay for the bills that keep coming in but i don't want him to leave!
Although i am stable at the moment, i'm still a long way away from being in the safe zone. I need mummy and daddy here with me, just in case.
If you can please spare some of your morning coffee change or your weekend drinking money to keep my parents with me during this scary time, i would be very appreciative!!
Thank you so much.
- Caroline S
- Erin Hancock
- Chris Grimes
- Raeline Phillips
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more