When I picked the puppy up around 5pm, I was beyond saddened by his condition. He was completely lethargic. His eyes were grey and bloodshot, barely open... His breathing was labored... He threw up in the car on the way to the clinic… Then when we got there, he immediately had diarrhea that was nothing but blood. At that point, the tech said he was in such bad shape that they would not be able to properly help him there, and that I needed to take him to an emergency clinic. So I loaded him back into the car and off we went. At the emergency clinic, they did an immediate exam and tested for Parvo. Thankfully, it was negative. But that still left this puppy in near death condition, and a decision to be made, as they handed me an estimate in the thousands for further testing and ongoing hospital care & treatment.
After a long talk with the vet, I knew that I had to do what I could to give this poor baby a fighting chance. Even though it wasn't my dog, and I was not prepared for some crazy vet bill, I knew that I couldn’t just surrender him, or sign his death certificate by having him put to sleep, if there was still a chance for him to recover. So the owner of the dog released him to me, and I have now suddenly and unexpectedly taken on full responsibility for a very sick, but very sweet baby pitbull.
6/26 - Pupdate: I went back to the clinic at 10:30 this morning to check on him. He is stable, but still pretty out of it. He had diarrhea once during the night, but no more vomiting, so that’s good. Bloodwork came back with a few highs and lows, but nothing super alarming or abnormal for a dog who's had diarrhea and vomiting for 3 days & is super dehydrated. X-rays show some signs of stress on the organs, but again, nothing beyond what would be expected for a dog in his condition. Still waiting for a few more lab tests. Other than that, just trying to get him rehydrated and let the antibiotics run their course. They’re gonna try to get him to eat a little something today so we’ll see how that goes. I go back again around 3:00 for another update.
This is where I reach out for some help on my mission to save this sweet baby... If my wallet was as big as my heart, there wouldn't be an issue. But my resources are limited. I have pulled money out of my savings to cover everything that I possibly can, but any little bit of help I can get to help me cover his current costs and any further costs would be beyond appreciated. From that point, if all continues to go well and we get this puppy happy, healthy and ready to go, he is going to need a new home. Due to the financial inability for him to be properly cared for, he will not be returning to his previous home or owner. And as much as I would love to keep him, it would be very tricky to keep a big dog in an apartment, to say the least. Especially an apartment with a no pet policy. I have to finesse having a cat, as it is. So I am also reaching out to see if anyone out there would be able to foster him, or adopt him permanently. If he has nowhere else to go once he is ready for release, I will bring him home with me, but something will need to be figured out for the long term.
So if anyone can help, in any way, with any part of this, I would be forever grateful. Thanks so much for taking the time to read my story, and for the support. <3
DonationsSee top donations
- Jay Barros
- Avideh Jada
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more