SPOONMAN (The Myth/The Legend)
By Artis the Spoonman
I want to create a retrospective package of 45 years of being Artis the Spoonman.
Initially I’m going to do an audio recording of several innovative compositions with and without words. With and without rigid structure. With some certainly fine musicians.
I’ve been performing since 1972 from the sidewalks of Seattle to Alice Tully Hall on Broadway; from the sidewalks of Tokyo to the David Letterman Show; from the beaches of Bali to the celebrated feature of a Grammy Award-winning, multi platinum record and MTV video of the Soundgarden hit, SPOONMAN 1994.
I have performed with and/or for such great musicians as;
• Ravi Shankar
• Taj Mahal, Laurie Anderson, Ian Anderson, John McLaughlin …
• Steve Goodman, Frank Zappa, Zakir Hussein, Ramblin Jack Elliot, Seattle Jim Page, Utah Phillips, Alice DiMichele, Seattle Philharmonic Orchestra and so many more . . .
• The Gong Show 1976 (Does anyone know how to obtain any video footage of this?)
• David Letterman 1990
• Shields and Yarnell Show 1977 (Does anyone know how to obtain this footage? - it was an Al Lowenstien production at CBS studios in Fairfax/Los Angeles, on or about 21 April 1977). It’s hella story including Kesey, Rahsaan, hitching from Santa Cruz to Eugene, Reverand Chumleigh and the Flaming Zucchini . . ..
• Paul Daniels London, UK 1985
• Blue Peter, Kent, UK 1985
• Northern Half Newscast, New Zealand 1988 (Haven’t purchased DVD of it yet at $50?)
And many more globally
This project will be of gems selected from my entire oeuvre, collected, catalogued, archived, artfully presented in a package including:
• A DVD that will include
-A comprehensive spoon-playing workshop/instructional guide
-Video recordings of previously unseen clips from past performances
-Excerpts from current era shows
-Interviews with an array of people and relatives regarding varying eras and events of the Spoonman's life.
• A CD or a second DVD containing current instrumental compositions, songs and poetry
• A musical spoons kit (i.e., 2 new and matched teaspoons, a small block of wood, and a rubber band).
This project is expected to be completed and released in early 2018
• Project director = $5,000±?
• Archive cataloger @ $15± p/h = 80+ hours $1,000 - $2,000±?
There are 150+ videotapes and DVDs to review and catalogue
And 200+ audiotapes & CDs to review.
Also Internet research of articles and performance clips
• DVD and CD production costs:
-Musicians $5,000 ±
-Recording engineer @ $75? per hour 100+ hours $7 - $10,000
-Purchase/rental of all necessary recording equipment $2,000 ±
-Studio rental 20 - 50 hours @$500 - $600 per day session $3,000±
-Finished project manufacturing and packaging per/1000 items $5,000 -$8,000
-Venue rental and production expenses for “release event” $2,000±
-Estimated unforeseen expenses - mostly labor $2,000±
• Estimated total = $40,000