I am now accepting advance enrollment to gauge interest in online courses and to determine if there is sufficient interest in additional instructional videos on my YouTube channel. Read through to the end for details.
Funds from this campaign will be used as follows:
1. Produce a series of online courses related to ropework, e.g. rappelling, canyoneering, technical rescue. I have already installed a Learning Management System on my website. Now taking steps to learn how to use it.
My intent will be to produce the online courses in modules with ART of RopeWork as the core module. ART is an acronym for Anchors, Rigging and Techniques. ART of Canyoneering would include the core module, plus hydrology, environment, rating systems, logistics and trip planning, etc. The ART of RopeWork core module could also be used with additional modules for other courses, e.g. Rappel Master, Ultralight Rigging & Rescue.
2. Produce additional instructional videos for my YouTube channel: Canyons & Crags
3. Produce online exams that will allow people to assess their knowledge and safety awareness related to ropework. Many of the accidents that occur in recreational rope-related disciplines happen because “people don’t know what they don’t know”.
4. Produce a “Karma Passport” to provide a means for people who complete online training to receive follow-up hands-on training simply by serving others. The passport has already been designed and is close to ready for printing.
I have been playing on rope for more than 42 years. Working on rope for 29 years and have trained thousands of recreational adventurers, professional guides and rescue teams. I was the founder of the American Canyoneering Association (ACA) in 1999 and served as president and senior instructor for 16 years. Some have referred to me as “the father of technical canyoneering” in the United States.
When I announced my resignation from the ACA in 2016 a friend and former student, Luca Chiarabini suggested I start creating instructional videos and offered financial support to allow me the time to focus on producing them. Over the next few months I produced more than 20 videos. Unfortunately, Luca is no longer with us in this world. Since his passing I have found it necessary to go back to focusing on work and earning an income to pay the bills and to support my passion for service to people in need.
Check out my previous campaign here: GoFundMe Canyoneering
ONLINE COURSE PRE-LAUNCH
Recently I asked a survey question on my personal Facebook page: “How many of you would be willing to pay $200 for an online version of my ART of Canyoneering course?” The response was very encouraging. Some told me they have always wanted to attend one of my courses, but hadn’t found my schedule convenient. Some told me they would pay even more for an online course because they could take it without using vacation time and incurring travel expenses. Others told me they liked the idea of doing an online course at their own pace and convenience and maintaining access to the course for future refresher.
So here I am taking the next step, asking you to make a real commitment to let me know I really should invest my time to produce more online learning materials for you.
• The price for the online course will be set at $200. Donate $200 to this campaign as your pre-order of the course. You will be enrolled automatically as soon as the course becomes available.
• If you have benefited from the 20+ instructional videos that are already on my YouTube channel and believe you will benefit from more videos in the future, donate any amount to show your support even if you are not interested in an online course.
• THIS IS IMPORTANT: Share this campaign on your social media and with friends who you believe might also benefit from the instructional videos and/or the online courses.
I set the campaign goal at $20,000 — If I see the campaign moving in that direction at a good pace I won’t wait to reach the total goal before I start producing the online training.
NOTE: If this campaign is not successful I will submit a request to GoFundMe to return all funds to donors.
- John Horton
- Soren Stauersbol
- Dean Kirchner
- Tom Majich
- Keith Goodfellow
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more