HERE IS AMBROSE'S STORY
Ambrose is a 14 yr old very active boy! Growing up he has always been pretty healthy! Other than constipation problems from the time he was 2-12! At around 11ish we started noticing his hands shaking pretty much all the time like a tremor. Our doctor would just prescribe him medications. The first time he prescribed anything Ambrose loved that it took the tremor away but absolutely hated that he felt like a zombie. So he never took it again! Then the doctor prescribed another med but Ambrose refused to take it because he didn't want to feel that way again! Then one day Ambrose told me that when he shakes it hurt, so he wanted to try the new Medicine. So he tried it and it did nothing! So he just stopped taking it! He refused to talk to the doctor about it and said he would just deal with the pain. Low and behold our doctor got arrested and past away in jail so we had to switch doctors! The first visit at the new doctor I asked for blood work. Doctor agreed as long as we saw a neurologist and therapist! So We of course absolutely agreed!
So on Monday march 13th 2017 I took him to get the blood work, that I asked to have done! I then took him to Penn Foundation only to sit there for almost 2 hours for them to tell me they don't take his insurance ( I kno I should've called first but they take 90% of insurance so I figured we would b good! Wrong) (lol)!
On Tuesday March 14th 2017 at approximately 10:30am my phone rang with a number I didn't know! I almost didn't answer! I'm glad I did! It was the oncall doctor with the news that would change Ambrose's life forever! Mrs.Hammel the lady said! I said no but I am Ambrose's mom if that's who you are looking for! She said yes Ms.Wambold then correct?! She then proceeded to tell me that she was the oncall doctor and was reading over the blood work and that Ambroses creatinine level was 3xs what it should be and that he was in kidney failure! (your creatinine level should be between .6-.8 his was already at 3.4). I said what do you mean?! She says well isn't that why you took him for blood work? When I told her no it was because he tremors all she could say was I'm so sorry. She said I know it's not great weather out there with the snow storm and all but you need to get him to the er. She then asked me to ask Ambrose a series of questions. I had to wake him because it was a SNOW DAY!
◦ So I went and woke him up and had doctor on speaker phone and she asked questions like... is your face swollen? NO ... is your urine dark? NO... are you eating n drinking normally? YES! She then proceeded to say how weird it was that he has absolutely NO SYMPTOMS none what's so ever! So she told me I could call an ambulance or I could drive him. So I drove him!
◦ Get him to hospital where they were awaiting our arrival! Take him back blood pressure a little high, got blood work redone. Blood work came back at 3.5 for his creatinine level. So the doctors all discussed that Ambrose needed to have an ultra sound! His right kidney is a 1/2"-1" smaller than what it should be and has a weird texture (disease) then to his bladder! Well he wasn't emptying fully ( which he is now) then to his left kidney! I mean black whole where kidney should be! SURPRISE he only has one kidney! Everyone is blown away that we had no idea!
◦ Time for transport to Philadelphia! Off to chop we go! Get there redo all the tests! All the same! Stay from Tuesday to Sunday! Everyday blood work was done and everyday his level went up slightly. On Friday march 17th they took Ambrose in for a kidney biopsy! Poor kid had to lay on his back for 8 hours afterwards! He was not happy at all! When they released us on Sunday his level of creatinine was at 4.0! He was put on steroid n blood pressure medicine!
◦ He was diagnosed 3 weeks later with a rare disease called FSGS (Focal segmental glomerulosclerosis) he was on the steroid for 2&1/2 weeks and it did nothing, they put him on in hopes it would help strengthen the kidney so they took him off of it!
◦ As it stands now June 5th,2017 we are at 3.92 creatinine level! On June 23,2017 we will b starting the process of meeting the transplant team and all involved in transplant! He is at 18-20% kidney function so once he hits 15% they will start finding him a transplant! So they just want us prepared because we don't know how fast or slow we will get to that level! 6/23/17 & 7/19/17 will be long days of meeting with all the teams and doing some tests that need to be done so that way when it's time we are ready!
◦ Ambrose still doesn't really have any visual symptoms, other than he wakes up everyday not feeling well to his stomach! He also has pretty much lost his appetite at this point some days he can eat but most days he can't. So he does try n force himself to eat a little bit but it then makes him sick to his stomach
◦ We are raising money to help the family for a few things such as lost wages from parents having to take time off of work so often. Once transplant is done Ambrose will need to have around the clock care for the first few weeks! Also for travel expenses (gas, tolls), lodging if needed and for food while down at chop! Any remaining money will be put in an account for a college fund for Ambrose!
◦ If you would not like to donate or can't donate we completely understand! Good vibes, prayers and happy positive thoughts are very appreciated as well! We truly are blessed to have a wonderful group of supportive family and friends! And we can not THANK YOU all enough! God bless