The Amalgam Crew and I are so happy and thankful to everyone for their encouragement and support during this past year (plus!). In a time where we've seen some of our favorite local businesses close their doors permanently we feel overwhelmingly blessed to be here and we are excited to open our doors to you again! But...before we can do that, we need your help.
We are raising money to support two related efforts. First, our June re-opening; after more than a year of being closed to the public we need to do a bit of housekeeping and sprucing up before we will be ready to safely serve our community. This includes:
- Making rental payments for our store space
- Maintenance, repairs and replacement of fixtures and equipment
- Required Health Department up-grades to the kitchen sinks and plumbing
- Deep cleaning and disinfecting of the space
- Purchasing COVID-19 safety barriers and other PPE
- Filling open staff positions and training new team members
Secondly, we are so happy to be back we want to celebrate with you! Amalgam is partnering with Black Child Book Fair (a Chicago based traveling book fair aimed at promoting and amplifying Black voices in children's literature) and New Kensington CDC to bring you our first outdoor Juneteenth Celebration on Saturday, June 19th. There will be books, comics, music, and arts & crafts! Your support will help us bring this free admission event to the children and families of our Philly community. All are welcome to attend! Your donations will help us provide:
- Shade tents and tables for our vendors
- Payments to the DJs, performers and sound technicians providing entertainment and technical support for the day
- Porta-Potties and Handwashing Stations
- Promotional Materials
Thank you for taking the time to read. We know this has been a tough time for a lot of folks financially, and we do not make this ask lightly. We appreciate each and every one of you, whether you can give at this time or not. We truly look forward to the return of our community! We hope to see and celebrate with you soon!
With love and appreciation,