The doctors decided that I should have a stem cell transplant, and I started the chemotherapy. After 2 treatments another PET scan was done, and instead of shrinking the tumor had grown and 3 others had appeared.
The next option is CAR-T immunotherapy at Massachusetts General Hospital. I will need to be in the hospital for 2 weeks while they reintroduce my T cells and monitor my response. Then my husband and I will need to stay in Boston for an additional 2 weeks in case any other side effects occur.
While my insurance covers a lot of the cost, I still have co-pays and and will need medications. These funds will help with that, plus living expenses as I have been on Medical Leave from work since late June, and my husband Jon is taking time off from work to be with me in Boston.
I go in on Wednesday September 5th to have my T cells extracted. Seventeen days later I will be admitted to the hospital for 2 weeks, with the additional 2 week observation period. It will take another 3 months to recover enough from this treatment to return to work.
November 15, 2018
The CAR-T had limited effect. Tomorrow I’m starting a new treatment with the Immunotherapy that was given to Jimmy Carter. It is believed that this will give a kick start to my T-cells and get them back into the battle. We need to stay in Boston for an extended period of time, and be out of work for longer than we first thought.
So, I am appealing to friends and well-wishers for additional funding, by raising our goal.
Many thanks and much love, Aletta and Jon
DonationsSee top donations
- Elaine Keniston
- Valeria Carole
- Fred Watkins
- Catherine Mueller
- Jean Moses
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more