January 16th PUPdate: Since Cas’ first seizure in the beginning of October 2021; at 2 1/2 years old, he has had a total of 15 episodes. Anyone that’s seen a full blown, INTENSE, total body seizure (especially in a dog that’s over 100 lbs, lasting about 1 full minute each time), it’s violent, frightening and completely heartbreaking to witness. He’s on 3 medications (averaging $90-100/month), 2 of which, he takes 3 times a day.
Though, his diagnosis is most likely epilepsy (since bloodwork has been normal), our favorite ginger is needing an MRI to rule out anything that could be on/in his brain. This procedure is EXPENSIVE (especially for a dog his size), so we’re hoping to raise at least $1,000 before setting up his appointment.
November 3rd PUPdate: After 3 weeks of no episodes, Castiel has had 4 more seizures in the past 36 hours. Yesterday, his medication was increased from 2 times a day to 3 and now we’re going to add in a 2nd medication. If his seizures persist, we’ll be referred to a neurologist.
We need all the prayers and good vibes!
Anyone wanting to help out with medication and vet costs, we’d greatly appreciate it!
Anyone that knows our family, KNOWS that Castiel is our baby. Spoiled rotten, completely mushy and an absolute goofball! Well, his and our world was ROCKED this weekend. In a 26 hour period, he experienced 4 seizures (the only he's ever had), multiple trips to the vet office, blood work drawn, valium given, IV in and 2 medications quickly established. At this moment; based on the information, the vet is considering him as a primary (idiopathic, meaning they just don’t know why) epileptic. This results to medication for the rest of his life (2 pills a day, everyday), BUT, if this is the case, most dogs respond really well to it and live out a pretty normal, full life; so we're hopeful it's "just" that.
As of right now, it's just a monitoring and waiting game... We have our "dealing with a seizure" process figured out with medication to help him recover, have already started his epilepsy medication (it can take up to 2 weeks to establish itself in his system and really take affect) and I've started journalling details on each seizure. We're all exhausted, worried, anxious... but still hopeful.
Any contributions to help with his medical bills so far (fingers crossed we avoid an emergency vet visit) and medication are GREATLY appreciated! We'll be putting any funds raised into a separate account to make sure his needs will always be covered. Anything additional raised will stay in that account for future medical use and some much deserved treats! Thank you so very much for any help and support!