Early in the morning on November 19, a fire broke out in the restaurant over which Richard Herriott's apartment was located . Richard is, thankfully, safe; however, he was evacuated and lost all his belongings: piano, musical manuscripts, recordings, furnishings, clothing, everything.
Getting back on one's feet takes a lot. So we're fund-raising to help Richard get everything anew.
Richard is, understandably, still figuring out what he needs. So, we'll update this GoFundMe as he takes stock and figures out his needs. He has a place to stay for now.
We've set the goal at $20,000 for now, but I'm sure that as Richard figures out what he needs, it will increase.
Who are we? We are Jaye Marsh, flutist, and Jennie Worden, Executive Director of Orchestra Toronto
What is our relationship to Richard Herriott? We are friends and colleagues of Richard's. Richard has been a guest soloist with Orchestra Toronto, and, as a friend of the orchestra, has donated fund-raising piano recitals to OT for the past three years.
How will the funds be spent? All funds (minus GoFundMe's fees) will go directly to Richard to help him get re-established after he lost everything in the fire. Richard will need:
- First and last month's rent on a new apartment
- Furnishings (people have been very generous with their offers, but there will inevitably be items that he needs)
- A piano
- Personal items (clothes, shoes, toiletries, winter clothes, boots, towels, pillows)
- Household items (bedding, pots, pans, kitchen stuff, dishes, cleaning stuff, all the other stuff people need in order to be comfortable)
- Obviously, Richard will also need to replace his professional library (music, both scores and CDs) and his laptop computer.
In addition, there are always expenses that come with sudden upheaval and homelessness, including time away from work to seek new lodging and transportation around the city looking for new lodging, as well as personal expenses.
How will we get the money to Richard? Richard has been named the beneficiary of this campaign, so he will be able to withdraw the funds from the GoFundMe and have them transferred directly to his bank account. Richard met with his bank today to make sure he has all the information necessary in order to withdraw the funds.
- Keith Morino
- Sarah-Maude Laliberte
- Dale Scott