We're Motivated to Save the Planet by Decreasing Food Waste:
Globally, every day, we as human beings throw away 30% of all food—enough to feed an additional 2 billion people.
In that landfill it takes up to 25 years for a head of lettuce to decompose.
What if, instead of throwing it away, we could use it to feed... Chickens!!
Chicken Farms as a Solution:
Create small family farms nationwide who feed Happy Hens on food scraps from local businesses.
This Model can have Dramatic Ripple Effects:
- Better care of our farmland
- Use less grain for animals freeing up farmland for human use
- Save the fossil fuel energy used to grow, and transport grain
- Reduce our carbon footprint
- Keep food out of landfills
- Transform problematic manure into valuable compost
- Provide a humane life for animals
- Bring back family-sized local egg farms
- Create stronger, more resilient communities through supporting local economies, and shorter food chains
- AND, of course, eat better eggs.
Meet Lars and Anne:
Since their move to the Chelan Valley in_2005 they have grown in their passion for small farming. In 2015 they were exposed to the idea of raising chickens fed with food scraps -- a simple solution to one of the planet’s biggest issues.
Their small flock of 50 soon grew to 500. Currently their farm consists of...
100% fed by food scraps.
9 businesses (and growing) who donate food scraps that feed chickens instead of the trash.
As they’ve grown, the’ve wondered how they could save new farmers time, money and the multiple challenges they faced.
The ideas of the Farmer Training Program and Farm in a Box were born.