After a semester in the kitchen developing the tastiest food product possible, we (the students) landed on a delicious bean-based trail mix called Absurd Snacks.
WHY the name, you ask? Because it’s kind of a crazy story!
From a healthy snack idea to branding and package design, website development, and launch – our first batch of 7,000 bags SOLD OUT in 3 Days! The result: Absurd Snacks became the unexpected new direction for our career paths. We are in 20+ retail locations, online at https://absurdsnacks.com/, and farmers’ markets.
The University of Richmond gave us this incredible opportunity. Professors, mentors, and connections have set us on a path forward and changed the trajectory of our lives. We couldn’t be more thankful to UR and the Richmond startup ecosystem for giving us this life-changing senior year of college!
While the school year ended, Absurd Snacks lives on! Three of us committed to running Absurd Snacks full-time post-graduation and eat beans all day ;) We seek support from our friends, family, and community to continue growing.
WHAT ARE ABSURD SNACKS?
Absurd Snacks is an alternative trail mix that replaces traditional peanuts and tree nuts with crunchy roasted beans. YES! We had our peanut and tree nut allergy friends in mind, and it is also free of other major allergens! Vegan and refined-sugar-free, Absurd Snacks are crunchy roasted chickpeas, fava beans, green peas, and seed-based granola. It’s ridiculously good and super versatile – toss it on your yogurt or ice cream, enjoy it as a cereal, or eat it by the handful.
HOW your support will help:
- Complete more maple cinnamon and chocolate trail mix production runs to support our retail, online, and farmer’s market orders.
- Refine branding efforts (that’s right, bean boy is getting an UPGRADE)
- LAUNCH A NEW FLAVOR! The people have spoken, and WE ARE LISTENING! Absurd Snacks will explore a savory flavor. Have a zesty, sweet and spicy, or downright crazy flavor in mind that you want to see? Please tell us in the comments!
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU?
In appreciation of your support, we’d like to say thank you in the following ways:
$10: 5% off your order plus a sticker for each bag you buy
$50: 10% off your order plus a sticker for each bag you buy
$100: 10% off your next order, stickers, and a koozie
$250: 10% off your next order, stickers, a t-shirt, and a koozie
$500: First dibs on our savory launch, stickers, t-shirt, baseball hat, a koozie, and a FREE 4 oz bag of maple cinnamon or chocolate
$1,000: First dibs on our savory launch, stickers, t-shirt, baseball hat, a koozie plus 10% off your savory product order, and a FREE 10 oz bag of maple cinnamon or chocolate
ABOUT THE TEAM
Eli Bank, COO
Hometown: Huntington, NY
Hobbies: listening and playing music, watching pro baseball, and cooking
- Eli majored in Business Administration with concentrations in entrepreneurship and marketing. He also helped start three clubs while at UR!
Grace Mittl, CEO
Hometown: Bethlehem, PA
Hobbies: running, cooking, hiking with friends and family
- Grace majored in Business Administration with concentrations in Analytics and Marketing. She was also a long jumper on the University’s track and field team.
Maeve McCormick, CMO
Hometown: Philadelphia, PA
Hobbies: reading, writing, spending time with friends and family
- Maeve majored in Journalism and minored in Entrepreneurship and Film Studies. She is published in the Henrico Citizen and worked for Capital News Services during her time at UR.
We hope you enjoyed reading about the birth of Absurd Snacks. A little goes a long way, and we’d love your support through our next iteration of Absurd Snacks :)