Puppy "Andy" needs medical treatment now

Puppy, "Andy" Murphy Brown, a beautiful, 8wk old, Boxer pup while on his way via private transport, from Kentucky to meet his new family in Massachusetts became obviously ill, and was subsequently diagnosed with Parvo.  As of day 3 the bills paid equal near $3,000.00 with several days of treatment left ahead of him.

This is his story: Normally, as with puppies, you get them up or out of their enclosure they are so excited they quiver all over the place - a few nights ago - he did not! I thought he may just be too tired as it was very late. Shortly thereafter, when I put him in his crate, he didn't do his normal cry at me to demand I stick fingers in his crate to rub his face until he fell asleep. That lack of a cry disturbed me. I spent the next 3 hours with him on my chest to feel, hear, and monitor him. 

Once he began to stir, he started retching and ultimately vomited. Over the next couple of hours he was changing in a downward direction. No drinking, eating, gums were blanching, etc. Consequently, after giving glucose paste, trying Nutri-cal and a bottle with water that I could get in his mouth all without result, I rushed him to the nearest hospital. Andy spent the day being treated with IVs and antibiotics and a whole list of supporting drugs for his symptoms. The recommendation was that he needed to be in the hospital for the next several days with intensive & expensive treatment. But Andy needed to get closer to home, closer to the new family waiting for him. 

When they released him to my care (after I paid a $400. bill), it was with an IV and instructions for medical care during his transport to a hospital closer to Quincy and his new family. We arrived (after a brief stop in RI at another hospital to get his port flushed) at the MA hospital about 2a.m., where we met the family and consulted with doctors as to his future and treatment. The diagnosis, treatment plan was consistent with the first hospital to which the doctor brought a >$3,000 estimate for treatment over the next three days that would require 75% down before they would treat him at all.

This family who had never before met their new puppy were willing to scrape every penny from every piggy bank to pay all they had for "Andy" to be treated. $851 was EVERY PENNY and they were giving it gladly. It would never be enough and they were devastated that they could lose him. There are no options for billing or deferred payment. Pay now or take him home and watch him perish! I convinced the doctor to go back and write the estimate for one day of treatment. Let's get started and worry about tomorrow - tomorrow. Now $851 would be enough to get SOME treatment.

The hospital in Weymouth, MA has a 95+% cure/recovery rate for Parvo Puppies.  And, Andy is a step ahead in that his diagnosis came earlier than it does in most; thus, he started aggressive treatment before he was too depleted to have a fighting chance.  The doctors were optimistic about his outcomes with continued care.  And, none of this care can be administered at home. Parvo is an ugly, aggressive virus that WILL take a defined path through the puppy's lymphatic system, bone marrow, organs, and intestine.  Without treatment it will decimate his little, weaken body.    

So now, what to do for subsequent days of treatment?  The Brown's put up everything at their disposal.  Because I was there to witness the unselfishness of this family, the commitment they had to this little boy they were meeting for the first time, in this place under such awful circumstances - it was clear to me they needed some help here to continue trying to heal their new baby.  I called the doctor and asked that they prepare an estimate for day two (75% = $839.) and I would pay it.  

The cost of treatment, and duration have changed since Andy has been there.  They now expect more than three days - and the 75% for day 3 is due in the next couple of hours.  I will pay this bill too.  Not because I have huge surpluses of funds, but because I can't stand the idea of stopping treatment and letting him die when his chances for recovery are so strong.  

Sadly, this  will be followed by days four, five, six...  And I may come to a place where immediate funds are all expended and the family will be forced to make a life and death decision not because of prognosis but because of the payment policies of the hospital.  

Why is Andy so special? His new family had lost their last boxer of 11 years recently.  Devastated, they said they would wait a long while before considering another dog - but then there was a photo of Andy in front of them and he melted their hearts.  I can scarcely imagine the sense of loss to have just lost your beloved companion only to have your new puppy die before you've ever had him home.  This is TOO MUCH PAIN AND LOSS FOR ONE TO SUFFER. 

Please, help Andy get to the other, healthier side of this nasty virus to be able to live a long full life and bring the joy he was meant to bring into the lives of this family.  HE DESERVES A CHANCE AS DOES HIS NEW FAMILY.

For all my rescue orgs, I am going to be inappropriate and remind you all of the breaks I pass to you to get your saved canines out of death's door and on to new lives.  Please, please, please -- do your magic fundraising thing you do and help Andy.  Every Penny, will go to his care.  Any additional funds will be put toward rescue support. 






Donations

  • Michael Russell 
    • $20 
    • 77 mos
  • Tiny Manke 
    • $25 
    • 77 mos
  • Will Austin and Alvin Taylor 
    • $40 
    • 77 mos
  • Heather Merrell 
    • $500 
    • 77 mos
  • Stacy Brophy 
    • $20 
    • 77 mos
See all

Organizer

Laura Schaefer Austin 
Organizer
Dumfries, VA
  • #1 fundraising platform

    People have raised more money on GoFundMe than anywhere else. Learn more

  • GoFundMe Guarantee

    In the rare case that something isn’t right, we will refund your donation. Learn more

  • Expert advice, 24/7

    Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more