Can Dogs Improve our Immune System?
We think so! You can help us find out by donating to our campaign.
Click on the video below to learn more about this study:
Everyone knows dogs are “man’s best friend.” But have you ever wondered, in addition to the social bond we have with dogs, whether there is a biological component to this relationship that makes it more powerful – so powerful that it actually improves the mental and physical health of both dogs and humans?
These are the questions being explored in a novel study currently being planned by researchers in the University of Arizona’s Department of Psychiatry with partners at the Humane Society of Southern Arizona and the University of California-San Diego.
Estimated Costs for This Study:
Our research will be conducted in two phases.
-Phase I: Conduct Study, Collect All Human and Dog Samples and Analyze the Impact of Dogs and Humans on the Microbiome
-Phase II: Complete Analysis of How Dogs Improve the Human Immune System
We are currently raising funds for Phase I of the research, which will cost $30,000. Once we reach this goal, we will begin raising funds for Phase II, which will cost $45,000. In total, we need to raise $75,000.
Why You Should Donate to This Study:
1. You Can Help SAVE dogs!
- This study will utilize shelter dogs through the Humane Society of Southern Arizona, giving them a second chance in a loving and supportive home.
- If study results suggest that dogs may indeed have health-promoting effects,it could increase the adoption rate of dogs in shelters across the country.
2. You Can Help Fund Innovative and Potentially Transformative Research!
- By donating to our campaign,you will become a critical part of our research effort: you will be helping us to test a completely new way of thinking about the human-dog relationship!
- This study will examine whether dogs facilitate the growth of “good” bacteria in our guts (in science speak, “probiotic agents”).
o These bacteria – known as the microbiota – are increasingly recognized as playing an essential role in human emotional and physical health. Prior studies suggest that dogs can improve our microbiota. But this will be the first study to directly test whether dog ownership improves our microbiota and if this improvement translates to improved health.
-This study will examine whether dogs can improve the immune systems of older adults
o Dozens of studies have shown us that dogs make us feel better emotionally. But we want to know if that ‘feel good’ factor is actually helping our immune systems. This study is designed to look at whether dog ownership have immune enhancing effects.
Learn More About the Study:
- Visit our website: uadogstudy.org
- Like us on Faceook: www.facebook.com/DogsasProbiotics
- Follow us on twitter: @DogsasProbiotics
Special Gifts for Our Supporters!
As a thank you for supporting our research study, we have a variety of ways to say thank you. In addition to stickers, chances to win dog treats, and other prizes, if you donate at the $500 level or more and live in either Tucson, AZ or Atlanta, GA, you will be entered into a drawing to win one of two pet photo shoots:
If you live in the Tucson, AZ area, you will be entered into a drawing to win a studio photography session with your dog and an 8x10 fine art print from the shoot (with the option to purchase anything else). The session will be done in Tucson, AZ with Ted Hewitt whose work can be seen here: www.tedhewitt.com and on facebook at: www.facebook.com/TedHewittPhotography
For those of you who live in the greater Atlanta, GA area and donate at the $500 level, you will be entered into a drawing to attend one of Alex Neely's Dog Portrait events with a minimum of 20 images to choose from (online gallery) and one print up to 11x14. The session will be done in Atlanta, GA with Alex Neely whose work can be seen here: aneely.photoshelter.com
Additionally we have some special gifts for those who live in Atlanta, GA and are the first to donate at the $1000, $2500, and $5000 levels.
* Be the FIRST to donate $1000 and you'll be invited to attend one of Alex Neely's Dog Portrait events with a 30 minute shoot resulting in a minimum of 30 images to choose from (online gallery), 3 signed prints up to 11x14 - printed by the photographer (using archival paper and ink).
* Be the FIRST to donate $2500 and Alex Neely will travel (up to 50 miles from his location to a location of your choice to conduct a 3 hour shoot with at least 100 images to choose from (online gallery), 5 signed prints up to 13x19 - printed by the photographer (using archival paper and ink), plus digital files of prints for screen saver, digital gallery, and social media.
* Be the FIRST to donate $5000 and you'll receive the same package as the first person who donated $2500 PLUS Alex Neely will shoot video clips and produce a 5 minute finished video for you.
Thank you for considering a donation to this timely, innovative, novel and potentially transformative study! We look forward to providing you updates about the study's progress!
DonationsSee top donations
- Fuzzy Muzzles
- Leticia Pompa
- Lovy Myers
- Leticia Pompa
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more