Because she started a new job recently her medical benefits did not start before all this happened. In addition, she is not eligible for any type of paid sick time. We are asking you to pray and search your heart to help with any amount you can.
WHAT IS GBS?
Guillain-Barre (gee-YAH-buh-RAY) syndrome is a rare disorder in which your body's immune system attacks your nerves. Weakness and tingling in your extremities are usually the first symptoms.
These sensations can quickly spread, eventually paralyzing your whole body. In its most severe form Guillain-Barre syndrome is a medical emergency. Most people with the condition must be hospitalized to receive treatment.
The exact cause of Guillain-Barre syndrome is unknown. But it is often preceded by an infectious illness such as a respiratory infection or the stomach flu. Her illness was food poison.
Guillain-Barre syndrome affects your nerves. Because nerves control your movements and body functions, people with Guillain-Barre may experience:
· Breathing difficulties. The weakness or paralysis can spread to the muscles that control your breathing, a potentially fatal complication. Up to 30 percent of people with Guillain-Barre syndrome need temporary help from a machine to breathe when they're hospitalized for treatment.
· Residual numbness or other sensations. Most people with Guillain-Barre syndrome recover completely or have only minor, residual weakness, numbness or tingling.
· Heart and blood pressure problems. Blood pressure fluctuations and irregular heart rhythms (cardiac arrhythmias) are common side effects of Guillain-Barre syndrome.
· Pain. Up to half of people with Guillain-Barre syndrome experience severe nerve pain, which may be eased with medication.
· Bowel and bladder function problems. Sluggish bowel function and urine retention may result from Guillain-Barre syndrome.
· Blood clots. People who are immobile due to Guillain-Barre syndrome are at risk of developing blood clots. Until you're able to walk independently, taking blood thinners and wearing support stockings may be recommended.
· Pressure sores. Being immobile also puts you at risk of developing bedsores (pressure sores). Frequent repositioning may help avoid this problem.
Please continue to pray for God’s healing hands on Latosha and pray that her husband and kids are comforted. May God bless each of you and thank you for what you are going to do to support Latosha.
DonationsSee top donations
- Michele Brown
- Marann Reilly
- Kameron Jackson
- Nikki Ellis
Organizer and beneficiary
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more