The Takoma Academy choir plans to compete in the World Choir Games in July of 2018. Parents and the school community are committed to raising half of the $250,000 needed to take about 50 of the choir's members to South Africa to compete. Your funding will help provide airfare, accommodation, and transportation for the ten day trip.
Every month from now until June 2018, we must raise at least $30,000, so we need your contributions now. The choir has already paid the registration fees and made a downpayment toward the World Choir Games.
Your support will enable the Takoma Academy Choir to bring home Gold from South Africa. We want you to be a part of our success and we plan to keep you abreast of our preparation and actual trip, by uploading videos here so you accompany us on this journey. Support the dedication of these young people, who love to sing, and want to be ambassadors for our community, the State of Maryland, the District of Columbia and Virginia .
What Our Students are Gaining:
Educational Aspects: “Higher than the highest human thought can reach, is God’s ideal for His children.” EGW.
· Just like the three Hebrew boys, our students must learn that they can reach the stars and achieve excellence on the world stage. They must know that they are created to be the head and not the tail and to know that they have what it takes to work hard and excel in any area of their lives, against anyone in the world.
· This experience directly meets the National Core Arts Standards for the Arts that we use in our curriculum for Standards Based Instruction.
· Give them an opportunity to interact with people from all over the world that are coming to share their experience and culture in music…a first class globalization education! They will learn about other counties’ people, foods, arts, attire, and much more.
· Give them a chance to see and learn about South Africa with guided instruction as they move from one city to another.
· In preparation, the students will get workshops and clinics with some of the leading choral conductors in the country/ world.
· The choir will also be participating in the National Choral Festival in March. 1 of only 11 Choirs selected to participate in this inaugural Choir Festival of Music For All. What an Honor!
Spiritual Walk/Mission: “The Advent Message to ALL the world in this Generation.” Pathfinder Aim.
· The students are embarking on a spiritual journey of faith and transformation.
They have come up with a plan of action that we can take as a school in prayer, fasting, and in accountability for actions as we go through this process. The goal is to have each of us be transformed by the process as we spend time in prayer and watch God work.
· Targeted areas or transformation and accountability are
o Personal Faith Walk
o Responsible posting on social media
o Type of music being listened to in free time.
· Evangelism—Literally “All the world (regional reps)” will be in one place…
o students will be coached in friendship evangelism to get conversations going with people of other cultures/countries
o They will be performing in friendship concerts (in addition to the competition) that are non competitive and will have the stage to spread the WORD through music.
o On the first Sabbath, the students will be engaged in ministry at one of our sister churches and will also be involved in a community service activity which is to be arranged.
DonationsSee top donations
- Michell Baker
- Various Donations
- Parent Contributions
- Anonymous sponsor
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more