The daily meds it takes to get closer to normalcy.
Red line: Flush with 1 saline & 1 heprin.
Purple Line: Flush with 1 Saline, mix antibiotic, administer antibiotic, flush again with saline, then heprin. Then flush the drain tube that had to be inserted in her stomach to drain the abscess, while watching her writhe in pain. WHY?!?
As our other 4 children worried at home......
Polyhydramnios. The word that started it all. Basically meaning too much amniotic fluid, but to our OB it means an induction sentence. On September 10th we were told that due to the high fluid, we would HAVE to induce. It was never discussed as one option. Only an order that was given. The only option. The induction was set for September 12th.
Arielle had other plans. Contractions began to come 2.5 minutes apart, with increasing intensity. We decided to head in to labor and delivery, as we were told laboring at home could lead to the water breaking, cord prolapse, and fetal death. A lot of fear was put into us. Upon arrival at labor and delivery, triage decided that we were not progressing enough to stay. As we prepared ourselves to go home, our doctor called in and said we needed to stay.
We were moved to a birthing room where they wasted no time pumping the pitocin in. We weren't very comfortable with the use of this drug, but were not given other options, or second opinions. After we had been there between 2.5 and 3 hours, with the pitocin being increased every half hour, our doctor was not pleased with the lack of progress. As the nurses could not seem to agree, we aren't sure if a 3 or 4cm dialation was achieved. In the interest of hurrying things along (because we had a hot date??) our doctor suggested breaking the water. We didn't really feel comfortable with this at such an early stage, and expressed that concern. After the nurse informed us of our status, which is uneducated idiots, we agreed to have it done.
Things only went downhill from this point. The anesthesiologist came to insert the epidural. The procedure was painful. When the first dose went in, blinding pain shot into Melissa's head, accompanied by confusion, and an inability to speak coherently. The anesthesiologist explained it away with the possibility of a spinal fluid leak. After the epidural was placed, they came to break the water. Once broken, the contractions intensified and began to distress Arielle. Her heart rate began to drop with every wave. Thinking she was compressing the cord, they had Melissa moving from one side to the other to bring the heart rate back up. When that didn't work, Melissa was told to get on all fours with numb legs and wiggle her belly back and forth. This worked for a few minutes, then the heart slowed again.
At this point the doctors began to talk C-section. We were overcome with emotion. This was not the birth we had in mind. This was terrifying. As the OR was being prepared, calls were made to friends and family. We were wheeled down to the OR, where Arielle's heartbeat was lost completely. As Melissa slipped in and out of conciousness, an emergency C-section was preformed. "She's out!" rang across the room, and nothing else. It felt like an eternity before we heard that first precious cry. Wes and Arielle were brought back into the birthing room while Melissa was stitched back up.
Once home we searched for answers. We wanted some kind of comfort. We discovered that the very thing that almost caused us to lose our tiny princess, placental abruption, was not only a risk of polyhydramnios, but also of the drug pitocin. We were heartbroken to think a doctor we trusted would double a risk that almost took Arielle away from us. We also found in the next week that the doctor had neglected to tell Melissa she was anemic, and in need of iron. Just another thing overlooked for the sake of hurrying things along.
In the following weeks, while Melissa should have been healing, an infection was growing in her abdomen. The abscess was discovered on October 9th by doctors at St. Mary's, after beind misdiagnosed twice as a mere UTI at another facility. Now we are facing an unplanned month with no income. Bills are rolling in, and piling up unpaid. It's a nightmare that doesn't seem to end. We are eternally blessed by our little sunshine Arielle, and grateful for her. We just want our family to move forward from this.
We HATE asking for money. Honestly. However, we ask that if you can, PLEASE donate even $1 to help us get through the next couple of months. At this point we have $0 in our account for bills or Christmas. If you can donate, we love you & thank you. If not, your prayers are greatly appreciated. We also wish to thank those who have already helped us in so many ways. Prayers, physical and emotional support, meals, and so much more. We love you & God bless everyone.
- Ray & Sandra Kotcher
- Shannon Hardie
- Bob Schinker