Overcoming the Odds..Our Miracle, Chance

A week prior to delivery, my sister, Sarah, had been hospitalized and was placed on restrictions due to high risk pregnancy.  On March 2, 2013, we were informed that her baby had a 10% chance of survival, as Sarah went into an emergent delivery at 23 weeks and 3 days.  During the delivery, it was discovered that the placenta was abrupting and the baby had a knot in his umbilical cord.  It was just a matter of time before we could have lost them both. But by the grace and power of God, He blessed us all with our miracle baby, Chance Skyler.

The first three weeks following delivery was an extremely difficult time, both emotionally and physically for both Sarah and Pete. As Sarah was trying to recover, Chance was in the NICU fighting for his life hour to hour.  At the same time, they were also juggling their time to be with their other 4 children in between the long hours at the hospital with Chance.

On March 27th, they were informed that Chance will be transported via airlift to UW NICU in Seattle immediately for he was facing renal failure and nothing else could be done for him here.  That very weekend, after getting Chance settled in the NICU, Sarah was admitted to UW for postpartum preeclampsia.  After being released from the hospital after several days, she was finally able to be with her baby again.

Chance spent 3 months in the UW NICU fighting for his life.  There had been several moments that we had almost lost him for they told us there was nothing more they could do for him but pray.  Sarah spend every day by his side and held him as often as she was able to, close to her skin praying heavily that Chance would hear her heartbeat and it would give him strength and comfort to overcome this battle.  Pete, Chance’s father, drove to Seattle every weekend so he could also hold and see our little warrior.

Once Chance reached full-term (40 weeks gestational), he was transferred to Seattle Children’s Hospital for a trach consult. However through strong prayers, God heard our family’s cries and after 1 month of being at Children’s, Chance was extabated! 

The next few months, Chance had made several transfers within the hospital, moving from the NICU, medical floor, then back and forth to the PICU.  He had been on steroids so much to help decrease the inflammation in his lungs that it severely stunted his growth and caused him to have a difficult time weaning from the steroids, for as they did this, he had needed more support. However, weaning Chance from the steroids was the only way that would allow him to start growing and allow his lung tissue to begin healing.

Chance remained at Children’s for 10 months fighting this battle. Sarah stayed with Chance most of the time as his father continued to drive every weekend to Seattle to see Chance due to his local job here. Those were very difficult days for them both, many sacrifices were made, but each of them stood strong, trusted God as they fought the battle with Chance.  The rest of the family here, continued to pray for the day Chance can finally be home with us all.

I remember receiving the news that Chance might be finally coming home.  Then finally, after 14 months, the day to bring Chance home had arrived.  May 1, 2014, Chance and his parents walked out the hospital doors and loaded into the car for their journey home.

Chance was coming home on continuous oxygen and g-tube feedings, several medications and therapies that needed to be done daily.  He continues to have several precautions and restrictions that prevents him from being in public settings. 

Both Sarah and Pete have faced tremendous hardships during Chance’s 14 month hospital stay. As now a family of 7, one income alone has not been and continues to not be enough to meet their increasing financial obligations. Being diagnosed with Bronchopulmonary Dysplasia (BPD), Chance requires 24/7 continuous monitoring and support for his oxygen, feeding, therapies, and cannot attend a public childcare.

Sarah was laid off from work in September of 2011 and has been searching for employment while trying to finish her schooling. The summer prior to her pregnancy with Chance, Sarah’s youngest son AJ, was hospitalized and diagnosed with an autoimmune disease.  He underwent several procedures during his 9 week stay at Children’s and came home on countless meds and therapies himself.  He has recovered well as he is stable at this time however he still requires therapy, medications, and monthly hospital visits. At this time, Sarah is trying to get assistance for a qualified home care giver for Chance, as that is a substantial expense also.

As you can see, this has been overall a very trying and stressful few years and struggle on my sister and her family.  They are facing bankruptcy and foreclosure on their home and are in much need of prayers and support. 

I am reaching out to you, in hopes to receive financial support and prayers for this family during this difficult transition they are going through.  Any donation is never too small, and we are all eternally grateful and humble for all the love, prayers, and support given by hundreds already during this battle.

Please continue to pray for Chance and his family that God’s will may be done in their lives.

Feel free to PLEASE SHARE this video of Chance Skyler, our family’s miracle micro-premie. (link is provided below)  I pray that it continues to inspire and provide hope to you for whatever circumstance you may be facing in your personal life!

God bless you all and THANK YOU!

We love you Chance!!


Chance, My Journey
  • Laila Verhovskaya  
    • $100 
    • 49 mos
  • Jane Morone 
    • $331 (Offline)
    • 80 mos
  • Anonymous 
    • $50 
    • 81 mos
  • Anonymous 
    • $50 
    • 81 mos
  • Anonymous 
    • $50 
    • 81 mos
See all


Hugo-Martha Cruz 
Pasco, WA
  • #1 fundraising platform

    More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more

  • GoFundMe Guarantee

    In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more

  • Expert advice, 24/7

    Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more