Some of you may know, some don', but my wife Julie has kidney disease. Over time, her kidney disease has gotten worse causing her kidneys not to work well enough to keep her alive. She is currently at 13% function which points us to a transplant or Dialysis.
Julie is our world. Mother of 3 fantastic children. Julie is a stay at home mom, who does everything for not only our children but helps out at the school, community and always there to help support friends and family when needed.
With such a lower function Julie continues to try and be Super Mom/friend but energy levels are now a struggle to keep up to her level of Mom-hood.
(Kidney Walk with some of our Support team )
Getting regular dialysis treatments, usually four times a day, everyday, will help her kidneys do their job and keep her alive, but a transplant would offer her more freedom and the ability to live a longer, healthier, more normal life. A transplant would also give her more time to do the fun things she enjoys most, like spending time with her family and friends.
CALL 1-604-806-9027 - Julie Dodds to DONATE
Due to privacy, we do not get to know of matches until a viable donor has completed all testing and agrees to donate their kidney. Once a match is found a surgery date is set for Julie and her donor.
We got to chat with Julie's medical team recently to start going over the process and the "Cost of care "that came up was a bit of a surprise or areas we didn't think of. We of course are lucky to live in BC where the surgery itself is covered however Julie will need to be in Vancouver for 2-3 months for recovery.
Some costs that we were told about
- Pre/Post-transplant testing
- Vaccinations ( Shingles for examples was $176 x 2 )
- Postoperative care and rehabilitation
- Prescriptions ( Some are not covered by our Medical )
- Follow up testing and care - Hotel, Gas, Food to Vancouver for 1 night - $400
Non-medical expenses to consider
- Child care ( Julie takes care of our kids during school year)
- Lost wages ( Julie does after school care )
- Transportation to and from transplant center in Vancouver
- Travel for Family to visit -$600 per weekend
- Food for Julie
- Lodging close to transplant center before and after surgery. This is looking to be one of the major cost $4000+. Julie's cousin recently receive his kidney and his hotel cost was $4200
Money raised will help with current and future medical related expenses for Julie.
If you are reading this, and you prefer a alternative way of supporting us that is not via Gofundme, Please contact us directly
Any funds over and above what Julie needs, will be donated within the Kidney Community
Our help from the Media
Thanks as always,
Dodds Fam jam!
DonationsSee top donations
- Shelby Dodds
- paula dodds
- Anaïs Forest-Cooter
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more