Sweet Simba's Surgery Fund

Fri, 9/8/2017 @ 6:30 pm  - 

Simba is a VERY sweet, happy, playful, much-loved pup who lives in our Gomes School neighborhood.  Below is a picture of Simba when he was 8 weeks old.  He is now a happy, handsome young man of 8 months (see below)! 

23731798_1504917921.8541_funddescription.jpg
Playful Mister Simba ingested something (the vet isn't sure what, but, it may have been a plastic bag), two days ago and has since stopped eating and drinking.  He is currently at Ohlone / Beacon Veterinary Specialists.

We have paid the preliminary vet bill of $780 for x-rays and testing.  The vet has just now called to say that he has an intestinal blockage and will more than likely need surgery.  The low estimate for the surgery is $7,133.  The high estimate is for $10,722!

The owners cannot afford the surgery, so  -  as their neighbors and animal lovers -   we are prepared to pay 100% for the surgery.  However, we sure could use some help!  =)

Simba is currently under observation in hopes that the blockage will pass, but, it is unlikely.  (This type of total blockage typically needs surgical intervention.)

His owners have a special needs daughter who loves Simba VERY much and who would be heartbroken if anything were to happen to him.

23731798_1504917856.9589_funddescription.jpg
Please give what you can  ...  and pray for a good outcome!

Thank you for your consideration and help!

Our Warmest Regards,
Coree Burnett and Wolfgang Wechsel

=====

Friday, 9/8/17 @ 10pm:

Simba is still under close observation, and we are hoping beyond hope that the obstruction will "break free".

The bad news:  Simba was admitted with a 105 degree temperature and fluid in his abdominal cavity,  both indicators that he may be going in to sepsis.  Everyone please keep your paws crossed!

The good news:  Apparently, there are ANGELS resident on the Internet, rooting for Simba!  Thank you SO much to everyone who has donated so quickly!  *big, huge hugs!*

More updates as they happen  ...  <3 to all of you!

Current Vet Bill:  ~$2,800.00

==========

Saturday, 9/9 @ 11am:

We've just spoken with the vet.  They are continuing to monitor Simba and hoping to avoid surgery.  Keep your paws crossed!

For now, Simba is on IV fluids, an oral medication to aid with this type of blockage, and also several different antibiotics.  For now,  he is stable.  The vet will do more blood work this afternoon to see if his white blood cell count has gone down at all.  They will also be taking another X-ray to see if there has been any movement in the blockage. 

Despite what he's going through, Simba is in good spirits and wagged his tail this morning!  Hang in there, Simba!  A lot of people are rooting for you!

Current Vet Bill: ~$3,500.00

==========

Saturday, 9/9 @ 10pm:

Well, it looks like Mister Simba is "turning a corner".  Things are starting to slowly improve!

Simba has not shown any signs of continued vomiting or diarrhea.  The latest x-ray looks like the oral medication and cautious approach have made a difference.  Thus, the vet has decided that surgery is NOT required at this time. This is SPECTACULAR NEWS!

That said, Simba still has a very high white cell count, (more than DOUBLE the "high normal" value!), which is very concerning.  They cannot specify why he is fighting such a big infection, so, he remains on IV fluids and IV antibiotics.  

If Simba continues on this path and doesn't vomit or pass any bad stuff overnight, they will try a bland / soft feeding and watch for signs of the blockage returning.

Current Vet Bill: ~$4,200.00

==========

Sunday, 9/10 @ 10am:

Simba is out of the woods!  Yay!  All of your well-wishes and prayers WORKED!

Overnight, Simba continued to improve and didn't show any signs of vomiting or diarrhea.  1) He ate a small meal and 2) it stayed down!  These are both good signs!  (Dogs will typically not eat if there is still an intestinal blockage  ... they know, somehow!)

He also went for a walk last night, and the vet tech I spoke with said he was "perky".  When we called to check in a bit later, they said that Simba was in a bit of distress (maybe because he was perky and couldn't RUN?!), so, they had to give him a mild sedative.

The vet will be taking a final x-ray and also doing some more blood work to ensure that the blockage has cleared completely and that his infection is starting to become a bit more controlled.

The plan for now is to complete these final (2) tests and then, maybe Simba will be allowed to go HOME (with limited activity and a modified routine, of course).

==========

Sunday, 9/10 @ 5pm:

In order to keep Simba's medical costs down, Simba is out of the hospital and under the care of us as his "foster family" as we have quite a lot of animal and medical care experience.

Simba still has a very high white cell count, so his infection is still pretty strong. He was discharged with a large number of antibiotic, and anti-emetic medications, a special diet, sedatives, and an order for lots and lots of rest!

Thus far, Simba is on cage rest, and we'll be taking it very, very easy!  The vet instructed us to watch closely for signs of abdominal distress, and one of the first things that happened when we brought him home was that he had A LOT of diarrhea. We may be going back to the vet if it continues, so please continue to keep your paws crossed!

We can't thank everyone enough for their continued support, well wishes, prayers and generous donations! Simba has really been on a roller-coaster these last few days, and he's not out of the woods yet. Please continue to send prayers, healing vibes and positive energy his way!

Current Vet Bill: ~$5,045.28


Wednesday, 9/13/17 @ 9pm:

Simba is slowly but steadily making small steps towards recovery! He is still not eating very well, so, we have had to feed him multiple, small meals throughout the day. And, he is still having some pretty miserable days and nights with diarrhea ... which means, WE'RE having some pretty miserable days and nights cleaning up after his poopy self. =) But, he's worth it!

The decrease in appetite and the diarrhea could be the lingering effects of the gastroenteritis, or, it could be that he is still taking A LOT of medication. We are hopeful that things will start looking up soon!

That said, Simba is REALLY being spoiled while he's staying with us! As his foster mom, I couldn't help myself ... I bought him a "sqeaky snake". He LOVES it! =)

This weekend, we will be working on "puppy proofing" his family's home, yard and garage so that Simba can't get a hold of anything that could case him more harm.

A big, huge Thank You everyone who has been so supportive - both financially and emotionally - to Simba and his human family!


NOTE: We will continue to keep everyone updated as things progress and (hopefully!) improve.  If it turns out that Simba's final vet bills are significantly less that what we anticipate, all or part of your donation will be returned to you, minus the GoFundMe fee.




Donations ()

  • Anonymous 
    • $100 
    • 30 mos
  • Steve Louis 
    • $100 
    • 30 mos
  • Qiwei Liu 
    • $50 
    • 30 mos
  • Anonymous 
    • $20 
    • 30 mos
  • Anonymous 
    • $20 
    • 30 mos
See all

Organizer

Coree Burnett 
Organizer
Fremont, CA
  • #1 fundraising platform

    People have raised more money on GoFundMe than anywhere else. Learn more

  • GoFundMe Guarantee

    In the rare case that something isn’t right, we will refund your donation. Learn more

  • Expert advice, 24/7

    Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more