Hi, I'm Jason. Dylan is my brother who is currently hospitalized for multiple cancers and fighting hard to keep himself and his family above water while maintaining the positivity and hope that flows so strongly from their youngest boy Leo.
Thanks to a lot of previous donations the story is finally starting to take a turn towards hope again, and I thought this would be a good time to summarize what has happened and ask once again that everyone digs into their hearts and wallets to help if at all possible.
Thanks for taking the time to read this. The system is asking me to explain why we are asking for your help. But there isn't enough time in this breakneck speed world to get into any real details here. Nor would I expect anybody to read it all if I went into grievous details.
Please excuse my brevity, but also be aware that you can go back into the updates to get the heart-wrenching details of each milestone I will mention.
The shortest version is:
Seriously Ill man is mistreated and ignored by doctors in two provinces while fighting an undiagnosed cancer. Ends up a medical refugee in Ontario, gets diagnosed with multiple cancers, has surgery, and somehow maintains his family while homeless and fighting off infections in a campground. But we now have hope, a warm apartment, some groceries, and each other. We can see the light at the end of the tunnel, but we just need help buying the tickets to get to that end.
What we are asking for:
* Shares, Donations, Thoughts, Ideas, Contacts... Anything to help this family get their three meals a day and all the medicine they need to stay healthy while their father is out of commission because he is BEATING THE CRAP OUT OF CANCER!
* Anything helps, the every day needs are basically the same as anyone else's, with the added stress and insane schedule that comes with fighting cancer while also dealing with two kids who have specific needs.
* Groceries, Gas, and Hospital Parking are the worst offenders right now(for both visiting Dylan and taking Devin for appointments and group sessions)
Who are we trying to help keep hope and give a smile to:
* Dylan (Father, Hospitalized with Multiple cancers, Nerve Damage, and a recent Colonostomy. Hard working man until his health faded)
* Lauren (Mother, Currently has pneumonia, but is expected to recover fully. Trying to maintain a semblance of normal life with the kids, full time mother)
* Devin (16 years old, diagnosed schizophrenic, responding well to meds, Great kid who deserves to smile more)
* Leo (7 years old, diagnosed galactosemic shortly after birth, the toughest kid on the planet with the most heart-melting crooked smile)
The story thus far:
* Dylan was extremely Ill and unable to work effectively so he started seeing Doctors in Montreal, Quebec and was diagnosed with severe Crohn's disease, Ileitis, and spinal nerve damage, resulting in being put on long-term disability.
* The Doctors were foreseeing a long disability and began to slow down their attention and ignore pleas to move forward with testing. They just plied him with painkillers and nerve pills and sent him home repeated for almost a year.
* We moved Dylan and the family to Nova Scotia to be nearer to our mother so that he could focus on test and treatment with her help at home. as well as giving Dylan access to a new batch of doctors in a smaller town where we hoped he would get better treatment.
* Doctors consistently accused him of drug seeking behaviour, even while he was refusing all pain killers and just wanted to be tested/treated.
* Dylan ended up paralyzed with pain and unable to get any help for over 8 months. We begged and pleaded but nobody would listen to him.
* I finally couldn't take the horror stories I was hearing about his pain and inability to eat so I funded their trip 1700 Kilometres by car to London Ontario where we had heard the local doctors were very good and always willing to take the time to do all proper tests.
* Within 24 hours of reaching London Dylan was diagnosed with Cancer of the Sigmoid Colon and lower intestine.
* The Doctors there jumped into action and removed the worst section of his sigmoid in hopes of saving more invasive surgeries and organ removal.
* During all of this the family found themselves homeless. I did the best I could in paying for hotels, campgrounds, supplies, medicine, etc... But in the end it was not enough and they ended up up homeless in a campground.
* Dylan would not allow himself to be admitted while his young family was in such perilous times, and as a result a lot of his surgery sites became infected.
* We now have secured an apartment for the family, and Dylan was re-admitted.
* Sadly on re-admission the doctors found more cancer in other organs and immediately started cutting out more to try to stay ahead of the disease.
* And now we are here. Dylan is hospitalized, Lauren is recovering from pneumonia, Devin is having fewer and fewer episodes, and Leo is there; Smiling through it all as he always does.
I have been helping out financially for the whole 2 year debacle, but I am now tapped out. My savings have been depleted, and I am doing everything I can every payday to make their life as normal as possible given the circumstances.
But I can no longer do it alone. So I am here doing what I can to make this page easier to share, and easier to digest. Please feel free to send me any thoughts or ideas in the commentary here.
Please Help if you can. Hope is looking possible after three years of tragedy, but only with our help.
And to those who have helped, or plan to help. THANK YOU. WITHOUT YOU NONE OF THIS HOPE WOULD EXIST.
- Kristopher Castilho
- Vadzim Klaniuk
- Sohrab Falahatkar
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more