On the morning of August 31, 2015 Peewee had a 10 minute long seizure. This was his first seizure and he was bleeding from his nose for the duration, almost 10 minutes. Peewee went to VERG North in Brooklyn on September 2nd for an evaluation, chest X-Rays and blood work; the X-rays and blood work showed no reason for seizure, and the next step is an MRI.
Follow us here and on Facebook for updates
Costs so far post-seizure:
September 2, 2015: $610.58 at VERG North vet
September 3, 2015: $32 for steroid and anti-seizure meds
September 10, 2015: $1,552.78
I am re-using this same gofundme campaign as was used back in March, and just increased the total goal.
Peewee has a mass on his neck that he has had since he came to us in 2013. The mass had gotten smaller, but now it has hardened and spread. It has been aspirated and cultured, several times, but the most recent test (in November 2014) came back inconclusive, but concering. Unfortunately Angel required urgent leg surgery shortly after so Peewee's surgery had to be postponed, and then came Minnie's urgent surgery. Peewee needs this mass removed ASAP. He has come so far, please help us figure out what the mass is by getting it rid of once and for all!
The low estimate is $393.78, and the high estimate is $579.38 (rescue discount applied)
The low estimate is $448, and the high estimate is $829 (rescue discount applied)
Peewee has been waiting for his perfect forever home since June 19, 2013!! Peewee needs to go to a calm home that is experienced with Dachshunds- Peewee is the epitome of the breed: tenacious, smart, and stubborn- he needs someone who will be all that right back at him.
Peewee can not be out with other dogs when there are bones present if the person monitoring him does not hace his respect yet as he will try to steal it from the other dog. He can however have them in his crate, or if the other dog(s) is crated- complete non-issue in that case. Again, complete non issue if the "rules" are followed, no bones are given, or you work with him on his impulse control (as I have been). Peewee is housebroken and pee pad trained, and good with calm and confident cats and dogs in the right environment (when he is with me he sleeps in bed with me with 3 other dogs and at least 1 cat). He should not be around small children as he gets nervous about their lack of impulse control to grab at or bump into his space.
If you may be interested in adopting, please email [email redacted] or submit an application online at https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1ISDGDHUVd94aX7q0c0E59NU3ttRjcb9YHc0x4KxRgFw/viewform
Peewee has come a long way since the day I picked him up from the Manhattan shelter, June 19, 2013. He had been medically neglected and was a very sick boy who spent his first week "with me" at the Pieper Memorial Veterinary Center ER vet. He is now a fully medically cared for boy, and happy. He is also great with all other dogs and cats.
Here is Peewee's original thread: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=624048330941383&set=a.626806993998[phone redacted]741[phone redacted]76678058553&type=3&theater
On December 17, 2013 Peewee became paralyzed, as many Dachshunds do at one point or another. After a couple sessions of cold laser therapy ($35/ session) and crate rest he is starting to walk again but was still in sporadic pain and not getting full coordination back.
On January 28, 2014 Peewee had surgery to clean up disk material between his T11, T12, T13, L1 and L2 disks. Prior to surgery he also had to have an echocardiogram done due to his heart murmur going from 1 to a 4/5 (highest grade is 6) in just 1 month and is now on enalipril (a low cost heart/blood pressure maintenance pill), and his murmur is back very low. Peewee is also currently in physical therapy and doing very well, though may never be "100%". He has control over his bodily functions and also uses a peepad religiously if one is down indoors.
Peewee was picked up from the Manhattan ACC on Wednesday June 19, 2013. He was a mess with a badly infected mouth his whole chin/neck area is swollen with infection and saliva and blood back up, then in addition he had 2+ protein in his urine and blood so it was assumed to be s bladder or kidney stone(s) but the ultra sound was clear. All that in itself was a lot of infection to handle, but in addition to all that he had severe pneumonia as well. H e had his initial vet check up and blood drawn on June 20th and he is anemic and his white blood cell count was high, likely just due to fighting off all the infection in his body. Then on Friday afternoon (June 21, 2013) Peewee's left anal gland burst, his prostate was found to be very enlarged (both issues due to him being unneutered), he had a 104 degree temperature, his left lung sounds "harsh" which the chest X-rays confirmed was pneumonia. He was then on IV for fluids and antibiotics, and a feeding tube as he had not wanted to eat since he has been out of the shelter. Peewee ended up staying at the emergency vet from Friday June 21st- Thursday June 27th, the total of which was $942.58 (lower than the initial big estimate- thanks Pieper Olson!!!) Since his initial recovery Peewee has been neutered, had two dental cleanings (two premolars fell out between when I got him and his dental on July 12th, and then he had one molar extracted the second time), had x-rays and an ultra sound to try to determine why his urinalysis' were coming back off, additional re-checks, and cold laser therapy in December 2013 after he became paralyzed. This boy is a survivor, but he wouldn't have been able to even make it out of the shelter alive, or even survive the to see July 2013, had he not had the support people donating and sharing for him.
DonationsSee top donations
- Jessica Rainville
- Kirsten Daley
- John Waters
- Danielle Petrin
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more