Dr. Moncef Marzouki , former President of Tunisia
Salute The President: A gesture of gratitude and a counter campaign to the farce Egyptian presidential election.
The Egyptian Canadian Coalition for Democracy (ECCD) is embarking on an awarenes campaign to revive public concern about the democratic failure for justice, and we need your support!
To resuscitate the call for democracy and human rights in Egypt and to rejuvenate the enthusiasm and the hopes of the January 25th generation. The goal of the campaign is to relentlessly engage and facilitate the participation of Canadians and people around the world to salute President Morsi, the only president ever to be fairly elected in Egypt, as a symbol of courage and resilience.
Our campaign intends to:
1. Lobby human rights organizations, governments, and politicians to guarantee the well being of Morsi and respect of his human rights
2. Participate in a media and legal national and international effort to demand justice and due process for Morsi and his supporters.
3. Raise awareness on the medical status of Morsi whose lawyers have stated that his life was in danger because of his deteriorating health and lack of treatment.
The subject and timing of the campaign couldn’t have been more appropriate. The world is witnessing an unparalleled fake election in Egypt where all the potential contenders to Sisi have been jailed or forced to drop out of the race.
Meanwhile, the only fairly elected president in the history of Egypt is in prison suffering from inhumane treatment and denied access to medical care. In spite of his situation, he remains unbroken and continues to symbolize the 25th revolution.
The vast majority of Egyptian are determined to boycott the fake election and have come to appreciate the resilience of President Morsi. An initiative that calls upon Egyptians to counter the campaign for Sisi with a campaign for Morsi couldn’t be more timely.
After five years since the military coup in Egypt the world has seen a drop, year after year, in criticism of Sisi’s undemocratic and authoritative rule. While not liked by many, western governments have accepted Sisi’s power and empowered him with credibility. At the top of this list is Canada who has remained silent on Egypt’s human rights violations and it’s crackdown on civil society. Canada has been committed to Egypt’s transition to democracy but in return has:
- had to invest significant effort to free Canadians detained in Egypt;
- overlooked 60,000 political prisoners held for expressing internationally guaranteed rights to speech, assembly, and association including activists, academics, lawyers, and artists;
- ignored that Egypt is the world’s 3rd largest jailer of journalists;
- disregarded 830 cases of torture reported in 2014;
- discounted the detention of the single internationally recognised elected president of Egypt, Dr. Mohamed Morsi, who has disappeared since the coup and has been subjected to inhumane treatment and denied access to medical care.
Why we Need a Campaign
Canada and its members of parliament have fallen short of other western states in recognising the gross human rights violations in Egypt.
The US Congress, UK Parliament, and the EU Parliament have all had hearings, motions, or debates on Egypt but Canada hasn't. The US, under President Trump, has went as far as withdrawing aid Egypt. Recently, UK MPs have petitioned the regime in Egypt to let them see Mohamed Morsi, amid concerns his health has deteriorated.
This campaign will revive the general public’s interest and support for fair elections in Egypt, including a call for improved human rights conditions for all Egyptians including President Morsi.
Where Will Your Donation Go
Your donation will go towards supporting our campaign that will consist of the following components:
- Media: presence in Canadian mainstream newspapers and TV/radio shows
- Grassroots Advocacy: professional graphics and video designs to reach out to the Canadian public through social media
- Lobbying: reaching out to Canadian politicians from all parties to push for action in the Canadian Parliament.
So How You Can Help?
First: Donate to this Campaign!
Second: Share this Campaign on social media and to your friends by email, WhatsApp, and text message!
Stand with us for Human Rights and Democracy in Egypt!
Stay tuned for the launch of our official campaign page!
DonationsSee top donations
- RIS Donor
- Mohamed Beshir
- Mostafa Haroun
- Ehab El-Komy
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more