Robert Allen Guzman Jr. (R.J)

RJ is a 2 year old little boy who has a heart of gold and so much love and laughter to share. He has always been a healthy, smart, thriving little boy. But, out of no where he started developing some issues walking.

On a Friday morning little R.J woke up with a slight limp. He occasionally complained about a small pain in his leg.

By Saturday the limp began to get worse and he avoided walking as to not aggitate it more. Noticing that things were getting worse we then decided a trip to the Emergency Room was necessary. While at the E.R the DR's told us it was nothing to worry about and that it should cure itself within 2-3 days.

On Sunday we decided to have a family get together to do some fun Halloween Activites seeing as Halloween was just a few days away and it is a very important Holiday in our family. It's R.J's daddy's Birthday!

Sunday Lake Geneva had it's day of Trick-or-Treating so R.J as well as his 2 favorite cousins Kearsten and Shaun got ready to go out for a fun time! While out Trick-or-Treating R.J tried very hard to keep up with his cousins. But, due to his sore and weak legs he was unable too. He got to the point that he could not get out of his wagon to continue. So, with the help of his Auntie, Uncle, and Daddy he finished the trip out being carried door to door or riding in his wagon.

When we arrived back at the house he laid down and fell asleep. He slept from around 2pm until about 7:30pm at which time he only woke for a few minutes and then fell back to sleep. Worried Daddy decided that because he was having such a difficult time Trick-or-Treating and he was acting very lethargic that it was time for another E.R trip. This time to a different hospital.

There again he was told that it was a small infection in his hip joint and it would clear up on its own. Before the E.R released him they set up an appointmet with his primary DR for the following day (Monday).

Monday started out again on a bad note. R.J was only able to hold himself up with the aid of another person or a table or chair. Always hanging on to something.
When going to the primary DR appointment they too agreed that the previous diagnoses from the two ER visits were correct and he would get better.

Tuesday he stayed fairly close to the same condition he was in on Monday.

By Wednesday RJ had given up or so it seemed. He no longer wanted to stand or bare weight at all on his legs. He also started complaining alot more about pain in his legs. After a phone call from grandpa to daddy at work they decided his condition was getting much worse and enough was enough.

Robert (daddy) and Auntie Alicia (Me) drove lil RJ up to Milwaukee Children's Hospital. Within 5 min upon our arrival to the ER the staff had us in a room. The DR who usually comes in after the check-in receptionist and the nurse followed us into the room and immediately started asking questions and examining him. He decided he needed a 2nd opinion and got another DR to come in to examine him. This DR decided they needed a 3rd opinion. So they brought in a Pediatric DR who then agreed that the previous Diagnoses was wrong and something more was going on. They decided to admit him.

After a night in the ER and a day as an in-patient they had 2 possible diagnoses. But, in-order to be for sure which one it was they would need to do some tests. So, the DR's set out to arrange the tests. While speaking with the Insurance company about a pre-approval for the tests they found out that their hospital was not covered with that insurance company. They then informed us they would have to transfer him by ambulance to the UW Madison American Family Children's Hospital.

So, they transfered him on Thursday around noon.  
After getting settled in at the Madison Hospital a team of Neurologist came in to examine him. After a complete exam they told us they thought he had something called Guillian-Barre.

The only way to know for sure was through a spinal tap and an MRI. They planned to attempt to put RJ in a light sleep to try and complete the spinal tap. But, after giving him the sleeping medication and some Benadryl to aid in the sleepines it was a failure. Little RJ refused to go to sleep. Since that was unsuccesful they decided to do the spinal tap on Friday when they put him under using anesthesia for the MRI.

After doing the MRI and Spinal tap on Friday they got the results back and yes indeed RJ has GUILLIAN-BARRE SYNDROME!! This Syndrome has no cure and only one treatment that isn't always guaranteed to work.

That treatment is a Plasma transfusion. So, they scheduled his first transfusion for that same night. It is an 8 hour long treatment. They started it at 11pm and he completed it around 7am the next morning. Around noon 1 o'clock Saturday things were taking a drastic turn for the worst. RJ developed a fever, nausea, more pain, and he was very irritated and was also very lethargic. He was given Tylenol for pain and to break his fever as well as Zofran to prevent Nausea and/or vomiting. The Zofran was unsuccesful and RJ proceeded to vomit several times. They had another treatment scheduled for 5pm Saturday evening but decided to cancel it due to his condition.

They had plan on taking some blood work and allowing him a good nights sleep hoping that he will be feeling well enough to do a treatment on Sunday.

But, due to his continuing to vomit and getting the blood work back they are now concerned that he may have bacteria in his blood. Which would mean he is now Septic.

If they find this is the case they will need to clear up the bacteria from his blood using antbiotics prior to doing anymore treatments for the Guillian-Barre.

The DR's have said that RJ needs to be 100% better before he can be released and the GB is gone. The problem with that is there is no specific time frame on when the GB will clear up. It could be days, weeks, months, or even years.

Robert (daddy) will be missing alot of work and there for will not be able to have the funds to pay for medical bills, food, clothing, medications, or anything else he will need to take care of himself and his son during this time.

Please if you can find the kindness in your heart to help my brother and my nephew out it would be greatly appreciated. If you cannot Donate even a small amount to him and his son please please please help spread the word to people who may be able to help. We are also asking for PRAYERS!!! PLEASE PLEASE PRAY FOR ROBERT, RJ, AND THE REST OF OUR FAMILY! We really are just asking for the support!!  Thank you in advance for any help you can or have given!
  • Carlos Guzman 
    • $50 
    • 75 mos
  • Anonymous 
    • $20 
    • 77 mos
  • Carol Danielewicz 
    • $10 
    • 79 mos
  • Kimberly Gorder  
    • $25 
    • 79 mos
  • Denise O'Keefe 
    • $50 
    • 79 mos
See all


Alicia Krause 
Lake Geneva, WI
  • #1 fundraising platform

    More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more

  • GoFundMe Guarantee

    In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more

  • Expert advice, 24/7

    Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more