After a week of additional scans and doctors appointments it's been verified that the cancer has spread. There are markers in his lymph nodes and even in his lungs. He has some additional tests scheduled for this week to determine the stage of the cancer and the plan of treatment. He has been told that chemo and/or radiation will be needed to eliminate the cancer from his body.
Nathan is a senior at Emmitt O'Brien Tech, in Connecticut, and he only has 4 months left until his graduation. He plays basketball and golf, and is working on completing his plumbing certificate. Up until last week, his biggest concerns were homework and basketball, but now he is forced to deal with this nightmare diagnosis. His father, my brother Brian, is a single parent who works third shift at Sikorsky Aircraft. He is about to be faced with a slew of medical bills and he needs your help. He does have insurance, but it will not cover all of the medical and daily expenses associated with cancer treatment.
Your donations will help take the financial burden off of my brother and our family. They will also allow Nathan to be a normal high school kid for the remainder of his high school career. He should be focused on prom, his senior golf season, and preparing for graduation. He shouldn't have to worry about if and how his father will pay his medical bills
The funds collected will be used to cover his treatment, travel, tests, food, lodging, and anything extra needed for treatment. Any left over money will either be paid forward to another pediatric cancer patient or donated to an organization of Nathan's choosing. We appreciate all of your help and prayers as we pursue all possible treatments to help Nate beat this disease.
Updates to this page will come frequently as we learn about treatment options and additional needs. Thank you for your help and God Bless!
*GoFundMe has asked me to add some additional information to this story to ensure donors that the funds are being used honestly:
1. Who am I: I am Eric Shulick, Nathan's Uncle.
2. Where I'm from: I live in Seneca, SC.
3. My relationship to the party involved: I am Nathan's uncle... Brian's brother.
4. How the funds will be used: All funds will go directly towards medical bills for Nathan. The bills have already started to pour in... so here is the plan. The money from GoFundMe will be deposited into my checking account (I have already started a new Excel sheet to keep track of all money). Brian will send me images of bills that will go into a file folder cataloged with date and amounts. I will then pay the bills online using my debit card. This will take all stress off of Brian as he will not need to worry about paying the bills... he will just send them to me. Everything will be recorded in the Excel sheet and all bills and receipts will be cataloged in the file. When Nate beats this ugly disease, we will donate any remaining funds to another adoloscent cancer patient or to a charity of Nathan's choosing.
5. How will the money be sent to the party involved: see above.
- Amy Gillis
- Brady Craig
- Leslie Adams
- Greg Middleton
- Lisa Catano (Carrozza)
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more