Hi! We are Nadia Fani and Astrid Kramer and with our company Coastruction we 3D print sustainable artificial reef structures for coral reef restoration.
Low-lying coastal communities such as the islands of the Maldives, Caribbean and South-East Asia directly depend on the protection and nutrition these reefs provide.
Reefs are an essential chain in all of the world’s oceans. Worldwide reef scientists, governments, NGO’s, and local communities are working extremely hard to find and breed resistant coral colonies, fight the global causes of this decline, protect and maintain existing reefs and re-build damaged reefs. Coastruction now joins this mission.
- Natural materials: we only use water, sand and cement and no chemical additives.
- Freedom of material: we can use local material such as sand from the nearest beach or recycled concrete.
- Working without waste. We work without molds and re-use all excess material in our own product.
- Freedom of shape: this allows us to create habitat for as many key species as we want in one design.
- Inclusiveness: The possibility to work right at the project site, reduce transport emissions and involve the local community.
- A circular process: creating concrete structures with re-used concrete that can capture CO2. A chemical reaction stores the CO2 forever in the structure.
Time to scale up
There is only one problem. To build Asterix we need money, but in order to make money, we need a printer. The valley of death, a common problem for start-ups so we have heard. We therefore ask your help.
For more information please visit our website