Kim Marie's Surgery Fund

Thank you so much for considering helping me to raise funds for a surgery that I am in need of having. 

Nearly 8 years ago, I had a hernia repair surgery in which a piece of polypropylene mesh was inserted to reinforce the repair.  I had a similar hernia surgery two years prior, but the repair re-herniated, and I was told that mesh would be needed to make it hold.

I’ve had unusual (for me) health challenges ever since the surgery, only I didn’t realize how many challenges may be related to the mesh implant. 

Not long after the surgery in 2010, I experienced pain during each menstrual cycle, feeling tremendous pressure and tenderness in the area of the hernia repair.  I also felt this pain if I ate certain things.  I spent years working diligently with my diet to find a regimen that worked to keep the pain low.

For 7 years, I’ve been under the care of a homeopath, who is also a nutritionist, working to balance the imbalances and manage the discomfort I felt within me as naturally as possible.  I hoped most of the issues could be addressed with diet.  I spent  3 disciplined years with an extremely restrictive diet to heal my gut.  While this helped tremendously, I still continued to have certain challenges, even continuing on a limited diet.

I had suspected for some time that the mesh was wreaking havoc in my system, but felt there was little I could do about it.  Recently, I began researching more about incidents of reactions and health challenges with hernia mesh, and was astounded by what I found. 

It turns out that the polypropylene mesh has proven to be extremely toxic in the body, and many people have had debilitating issues with it due to an inability to process these toxins.  I discovered a list of 38 of the most common health issues that have been connected to hernia mesh, and I’ve been challenged with nearly 70% of them to one degree or another, the worst of which have been physical pain, severe adrenal fatigue, significant dental problems, and digestive challenges.  Of the other 30% of the issues, some of them can only be determined upon opening a person up to see the damage inside.

While there are a few surgeons who will remove the mesh, most physicians don’t tend to acknowledge the mesh as being an issue, choosing instead to provide prescriptions for narcotics and other drugs to manage pain. 

I had a strong intuition for some time that I should get the mesh removed, and began looking into removal options last year.  When I saw the cost, I set things aside and hoped I could save up in a few years.  Then, after Christmas, I had a dental appointment in which I learned that yet another infection appears to be starting in one of my teeth.  I’ve already lost multiple teeth in these last 7 years, and I do not want to lose more.

I am taking steps now to get the toxic mesh removed, and I do not have the health insurance to cover the surgery.  I’m asking for help.

I’ve already accumulated significant medical expenses due to this issue, and I need a minimum of $12,000 to cover the cost of mesh removal surgery and recovery. Every amount helps and is greatly appreciated. My hope is to at least cover the cost of the surgery, if not also the medical expenses still outstanding from previous issues.

I would like to have this surgery by the end of May to get this toxic substance out of my body, and begin truly experiencing optimal health. 

I’m so grateful to you for taking the time to learn about my story, and would be deeply grateful for any amount you can contribute toward my ability to have the surgery that I need. 

I appreciate you sharing this with anyone else who may be able to support this campaign, and with anyone else who you know may be challenged with mesh-related pain or illness.  I’m discovering that there are many people with this mesh who don’t realize that it may be the culprit for their health issues.  I hope that my asking for help also inspires others with more information that may help them too.

Please feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions.

In Love and Gratitude,

Kim

Donations

 See top
  • Anonymous 
    • $70 
    • 35 mos
  • Patrick O'Leary 
    • $50 
    • 35 mos
  • Michael Gaeta 
    • $25 
    • 36 mos
  • Anonymous 
    • $50 
    • 36 mos
  • Anonymous 
    • $1,942 
    • 36 mos
See all

Organizer

Kim Marie 
Organizer
Boulder, CO
  • #1 fundraising platform

    More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more

  • GoFundMe Guarantee

    In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more

  • Expert advice, 24/7

    Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more