One of the elements that made this effort successful was connecting the farmers to the ecological value and cultural importance of trees through storytelling. A Kenyan planner spun the tale of how trees and people are connected from birth to death (cradle to coffin). Many of the farmers later recalled the inspirational power of the story and related how they retold it to others as they sold them saplings.
Our work will take that original story and turn it into a children’s picture book. The picture book will be used in schools to reinforce the importance of trees to the ecosystem, and thus the people, of the area.
Some important characteristics of this project:
(1) The original story was developed by a Kenyan for Kenyans. As such it uses culturally relevant examples.
(2) A Kenyan illustrator will draw images for the book, so it will accurately capture and reflect the local area.
(3) The book will be bi-lingual in the two national languages of Kenya: English and Kiswahili.
(4) Copies of the book will be distributed to schools as part of a larger educational effort that includes planting trees on the school grounds.
(5) The funds raised will go to cover the direct and fair costs of this effort including: writing, illustrating, and distributing 300 copies of the book.
(6) I will serve as an unpaid project manager for the effort making sure the funds are spent in accordance with the budget.
Your help will make a big difference! With this small amount of funding we will be able to reach as many as 500 children. Most of the families in the region do not own books, so this will become a prized possession. We plan to have the book in publication by the end of summer, so the fundraising deadline is mid-April.
Support this work knowing the book and the planting program will allow children to recognize how humans are part of a larger natural system, and to experience being part of change at the local level. Your contribution will help you connect globally to local change.
DonationsSee top donations
- Mary C Chute
- Suzy Williams
- sarah bull
- Bill and Laurie Young
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more