Jake's Brain Surgery Recovery Fund

4 months before planning to graduate from Central Washington University with a double major in Finance and Supply Chain Management, Jake suddenly came down with a bad headache on a Friday morning.  Thinking the usual:  neck pain, flu, sinus infection, but his symptoms only got painfully worse.  On Tuesday, he went to the doctor and was treated for a migraine, nausea, and possible bacterial infection.  When the headache pain only got worse, on Thursday the doctor sent him to the hospital in rural Ellensburg for a Spinal Tap thinking it could be spinal meningitis.  This decision saved Jake’s life.  The standard protocol before performing a spinal tap is to conduct a CT scan of the brain.  This is where things turned for the worse.

 At 12:00 pm his high school sweetheart of 7 years, called Jake’s mom with the shocking news.  “Jake had a CT scan and has bleeding on the brain.  They are going to airlift him to Harborview.”  Words cannot describe the pain and emotion that followed for the next several hours and days.  Everyone was scared, especially Jake.  Unfortunately, the pass conditions would not allow for airlift.  He was transported by what seemed like the longest ambulance ride in history to Seattle.

 Upon arrival, the Neurosurgeons immediately evaluated Jake.  They said given his condition, he is very lucky.  He shouldn’t have even been able to communicate with them.  He had a subdural hematoma that had grown so large that it had shifted his brain 16 mm to the left.  Jake had to have an emergency brain craniology.  They wheeled him into surgery about 4:00 pm.  After a 2-hour surgery and recovery, he was transferred to the Neurology ICU.  58 staples and 4 large titanium brackets later - surgery was a success! 

 On Saturday, Jake had a huge setback and scare after they removed the drain tube. He was having excruciating pain.  He had to wait a couple of hours for the Neurosurgeons, who were busy with another surgery.  The longest couple hours ever.  They conducted another CT Scan and determined that it was another very large hematoma pocket that had developed between his skull and his skin.  The good news is that it wasn’t a threat to his health, but he would end up with a nasty bruise.

 The clock went slower and slower, awaiting his recovery.  By Sunday night, the nurse who examined him said “you don’t even look like a patient”.   By Monday morning, he worked hard to pass all his therapy exams so he could be released.

 Monday afternoon, a long ride home to Ellensburg to his “own bed”.  He passed out immediately.  Tuesday morning, he woke up and his goal was to take a walk, eat breakfast and nap.  Mission accomplished.

 Jake is an amazing, caring, loving person.   The entire time he was in the hospital he worried about everyone else.  Always putting everyone else first.  He was surrounded by so many loved ones – family and friends.  Their support during this time has been unconditional and the one thing that kept Jake strong.Thank you to all family and dear friends who have stood by his side.  We are all so grateful for the support and love we have received.

 Jake and Chelsea are unable to work at this time.  Already on a tight financial aid budget, any extra support would help carry them through Jake’s recovery and bridge the gap to his graduation.

Thank you all for your continued prayers and positive thoughts.


 See top
  • Zora Monster 
    • $100 
    • 73 mos
  • Richard and Irene Pierce 
    • $100 
    • 73 mos
  • PMW Operations 
    • $90 
    • 74 mos
  • Ramon Vigil 
    • $100 
    • 74 mos
  • Faunna Sprinkel-Bartlett 
    • $50 
    • 74 mos
See all


Chelsea Delatorre 
Puyallup, WA
  • #1 fundraising platform

    More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more

  • GoFundMe Guarantee

    In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more

  • Expert advice, 24/7

    Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more