JaBig is riding around the world on the first DJ tour by bicycle in history, a 5-year, 100 00 km (62 000 miles) journey of a lifetime with a mission to fight child poverty globally.
On August 25th 2019, on my 40th birthday, I set off for a bicycle ride around the world. My intention is a complete circumnavigation AND visit ALL continents!
You are reading this because you are a relative, friend, fan or supporter of Jean-Aimé Bigirimana aka DJ JaBig, the DJ best known for his YouTube DJ mixes with 7 billion hours streamed.
That means that I can be real with you and state that I need your support to pull off this adventure of a lifetime
This is the perfect 40th birthday gift!
BEATS BY BIKES, the name of this project, is the journey of a Rwandan-born Canadian DJ riding a bicycle around the world to perform for his fan base and to raise money for charity.
(Please note that the route below is for illustrative purposes to give an overview of how I will travel the world by bike in the next five years, I will visit way more countries than showcased on this map)
This bicycle tour is an epic ride -- even bigger than the one across Canada that I finished in April 2017, on a fixie (fixed-gear bike) coast to coast to coast in Winter unsupported!
This expedition caught the attention of my 500 000 social media followers and global audiences thanks to ESCAPE , the multi-award winning short film presented by MEC, Canada’s largest outdoor gear retailer and directed by Anjali Nayar (re/watch it below)
Going all around the globe has been a dream of mine since I read Jules Vernes’ “Autour du monde en 80 jours” (Around the World in 80 Days) when I was 9 years old.
Three decades later, it was time to turn this lifelong dream into reality and what perfect date to get it started than on my 40th birthday on August 25th!
What is different about cycling ACROSS Canada and cycling AROUND the world?
1) This time I will DJ along the way. Millions of people on the planet are fans of my music so it's only natural that I perform for all of you who like my DEEP & DOPE sounds. The majority of these events will be to benefit the charities that I will be supporting.
2) This time (on top of riding for fun and adventure), I will be on a mission to raise money and awareness for World Bicycle Relief , a wonderful global charity that ensures that children in disadvantaged parts of the planet get to school by providing them with free bicycles to break out of the cycle of extreme poverty.
"We are so excited to have JaBig's support for World Bicycle Relief on this incredible undertaking. It's always amazing to see someone use an opportunity like this to help create positive impact in the world around them. It is inspiring to see JaBig use his own personal experience with the power of bicycles and share it with others.” -- Claire Geiger, director of partnerships.
Mr Nelson Mandela once said: “Education is the most powerful weapon that you can use to change the world.”
3) This time because I am getting older hence wiser (the smart ass way of saying: weak ), I will pedal a bike with gears and not a fixie, I will avoid extreme weather as much as possible and I won’t travel in secluded regions without a backup plan!
4) This time, I will also document the journey with better story-telling tools. I will be travelling with top-notch photography equipment to ensure that I can create high-quality images to record my voyage and use for various purposes, such as professional reproductions or exhibitions.
5) This time I will get people to get involved in the journey literally. Yes, I am talking about you! I want everyone to pedal alongside me and be part of this amazing journey. So I will be sending out invitations for group rides!
Cycling around the world (the way I envision) is very expensive. Alone, I won't get far.
Together, we can make history quite literally since it would be the first ever benefit DJ tour by bicycle.
This GoFundMe campaign will help me with the upfront costs and some of the logistics expenses of the first leg of the tour.
With my big fan base and social media audience (half a million people) alone, I can even commission a film crew to follow the adventure and turn into a YouTube series or Netflix, CNN Travel, BBC Travel or National Geographic!
This would bring more awareness to my charitable cause, more funds and a concrete way to conquer extreme poverty globally!
I will repeat this for clarity and transparency: I am cycling around the world on a benefit DJ tour but *** this GoFundMe campaign is to cover the upfront and ongoing logistical costs *** of the this 5-year journey of a lifetime.
I appreciate your help and I look forward to meeting so many of you wherever you are located. I will be sharing my adventures on my social media and blog!
- If you prefer PayPal, please donate to firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you are in Canada and prefer Email Interac (online banking is faster and has no fees):
1) First name: JaBig Last name: The DJ 2) Email: email@example.com.
My bank account is set up to accept the funds automatically.
THANK YOU SO MUCH and see you soon!