COVID 19 Resources
I started Tikkun BBQ on April 24, 2020, as a small personal project to help spread good food, good vibes, and support good causes in the neighborhood during the pandemic.
Fast forward a year later, we are now a pop-up operating 1-2 times a month that has raised over $85,000 for various national and local non-profits, mutual aid groups, progressive political campaigns, female/LGBTQIA+/BIPOC businesses/entrepreneurs, and essential workers who serve our communities.
I founded Tikkun BBQ to feel more grounded during a turbulent time, while simultaneously helping spread some cheer to others as well.
Now, Tikkun BBQ is at a pivotal moment. We are building Tikkun BBQ to become a permanent member of the community. We need your support to ensure that we can keep doing what we love (making BBQ) and continue creating those good vibes as well as support good causes that speak to us.
We are raising $60,000 (this may be adjusted depending on the price of the smoker, truck to tow it, etc.) to accomplish the following:
- Pay off debt used that took this project from an Astoria balcony to major venues in New York City
- Purchase a dual 500-gallon smoker set-up mounted on a trailer
- Purchase a car capable of towing said smoker and transporting other equipment to and from venues for events
While we will no longer donate 50% - 100% per event going forward in 2022, we pledge to do the following to make sure we never forget where we came from, who supported us, and what we are here to do:
Make great BBQ. Create Good Vibes. Support Good Causes.
We will do this by and through:
- A smaller % or set # donated per event, or total for every year we operate
- Continuous use our social media platforms to advocate for positions we care about
- Continuously sourcing products (baked goods, sauces, bread, etc.) from BIPOC, LGBTQIA+ and/or female vendors
- Continuously use our platform to bring shine to BIPOC, LGBTQIA+ and/or female vendors
- A set # of free meals for anyone and everyone who can come to the location, which will take place in Astoria, because no one should go hungry
- A set # of civic efforts meant to engage, and support the community, whether it’s through voter drives, vaccine drives, coat drives, food drives, etc.
- Ensuring that anyone, even if you are homeless and have $0 in your pocket, will have a seat at our table and a plate of food provided we haven't sold out
- Ensuring that anyone, even if you are homeless and have $00.01 in your pocket, will have the ability to enter into our event raffles for a chance to win a prize
- More ideas to come as well
DonationsSee top donations
- Stephen Becker
- Matthew Shapiro
- Megan Baker