Two weeks ago, and for the first time in 42 years, that home was flooded. Being here in Los Angeles, I felt so powerless during the situation. However, with the help of Mrs. Carley, her daughter, Veronica, and my amazing friend, Cindi, my parents were able to get themselves and their pets safely out of harms way before the flood. For that and for them, I'm so, so grateful. Structures can be repaired and rebuilt, and that's where we are now.
Right away, the community rallied around my parents. Strangers helped my dad pull wet carpet and furniture out of the home, and neighbors made sure my family had the necessities. My aunt and many family friends showed up to offer home cooked meals and their time and phyical energy to help my parents pack up what was salvagable. On more than one occassion, I broke down into tears hearing of the kindness and love from everyone.
What has already been done?
- Applied for FEMA aid for my parents, but assistance is not guaranteed.
- Researched water remediation and repair companies and set up appointments for these companies to inspect my parent's home and provide quotes.
- Quotes received and compared
- Construction company has begun the work to demo, dry out, and properly disinfect our home.
Right now, my goal is to raise $10,000 in the next 6 weeks. This money will help cover the most immediate and pressing concerns for my family as we begin to rebuild, and I'm asking for you to join me in that journey. Here's how your donation will make an impact:
Cost of demolition, drying out and disinfecting = $10,000
- Demolition of the existing interior structure
- All walls, cabinets, and flooring must come out
- Water damaged insulation will be pulled
- Properly disinfecting and drying out the structure
- Dehumidifiers and industrial fans will be used
- Structure will be treated with mildicide
With each donation, you will receive my deepest gratitude. In addition, I'd like to offer the following for your generosity:
- A 1 hour massage at Massage Envy, a personal thank you card from me, and I'd like to take you to dinner, when physically possible (some of you may not live in LA)
$500 - $999 :
- Dinner for two at a restaurant of your choice, a personal thank you card from me, and I'd like to take you to dinner, when physically possible (some of you may not live in LA)
$250 - $499 :
- Two movie passes, a personal thank you card from me, and I'd like to share a coffee or tea with you to hear about you, your family, and your life.
$150 - $249:
- $15 gift card, a personal thank you card from me, and I'd like to share time with you to hear about you, your family, and your life.
$50 - $149:
- $10 gift card, a personal thank you card from me, and I'd like to share time with you to hear about you, your family, and your life.
$10 - $49:
- A personal thank you card from me, and I'd like to share time with you to hear about you, your family, and your life.
Please join me in helping my family, and thank you for taking the time to listen, read, and offer your assistance. ❤️❤️❤️
Per GoFundMe's policies, I must state the following:
There are some technical pieces that require a computer and internet access, and my parents don't have either of these at the moment. For that reason, once our initial goal is met, I will be withdrawing the money directly and delivering the funds to my parents.
Dad and Piglet
Me and my family (and Piglet)
Our home - Easter, 2017
- Matthew Palazzolo
- Richard Bernard
- Douglas Libby
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more